Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mountain lion: the world's most expensive paper weight?

So I boot my mac book pro (bought March this year) and everything works fine... but bnce I close the lid, everything starts to go wrong... sometimes I can log back in again, sometimes it just sits there at the login screen with that annoying spinning cursor.. and the only thing I can do is hold down the power button. If I can manage to log in, it might works for about 10 seconds.. then everything stops responding.. The background image will flash between a gray background and my background image.. sometimes I will be left with firefox open, and the menus at the top and bottom with disappear.. only thing I can do is hold down power button.. and everything will work fine again, until I close lid again (or mac goes to sleep)

I am so furstrated with my mac right now.. am tempted to just do a fresh install, but I was happy with how my mac was running before I made the huge mistake of upgrading to mountain lion..

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:32 AM

Turned out to me my OCZ Vertex 4, just had to update the firmware.

6 replies

Jul 31, 2012 11:50 AM in response to bandit

If I knew what the problem was in the first place, I would not have come here...

And yes, I do blame the OS, how hard can it be to do a few tests on my hardware before turning my 3000 dollar mac in to a giant paper weight.. or atleast give me a warning, or some kind of indication what the problem is.

I have never seen an operating system do what my mac did because it needed new firmware. At least with windows it blows up in your face and gives you a stack dump.

Jan 28, 2013 4:55 PM in response to kingsob

You must be joking, right? You're saying Apple should test every configuration possible with the thousands of 3rd party devices before releasing on OS? You clearly have no grasp on reality. It's up to the 3rd party manufacturers to provide support for their devices with hardware and operating systems. Apple provides seeds of their OS's for this purpose, so the burden is on them, and quite frankly, on those who modify their systems beyond factory specs. I've been "playing" with various SSDs for the past 6 months, and it's very much the "wild wild west" out there right now - almost like a throwback to the good ole days of Windows 3.11/95 which had driver issues galore. I'm hoping the SSD manufactures get their acts together and make these things more user-friendly. Apple is known for carefully choosing their components to make for the best possible user experience. When folks start monkeying with this formula, all bets are off.

mountain lion: the world's most expensive paper weight?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.