Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I start x11 on 10.8?

I just installed 10.8 and it seems it works quite well.

Wireshark needs X11 and this isn't delivered any more (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293).

I downloaded X11, and installed it. There is an new Folder on Root /opt/X11 with many subfolders.

Trying to start Wireshark it asks for X11 - but how can I start X11? I am not a UNIX-Geek…

Thanks for help.

DoktorMac, Peter, Bern, Switzerland

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 3:01 AM

7 replies

Jul 29, 2012 4:57 AM in response to woodmeister50

Thanks for your reply. Wireshark asks "where is X11".

And, env gives this:

TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal

TERM=xterm-color

SHELL=/bin/bash

TMPDIR=/var/folders/7q/pb9tqq0x1hd75230xc48swdw0000gn/T/

Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-z4Yosa/Render

TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=309

TERM_SESSION_ID=37A982B8-1DA3-435E-A3E6-6490E0287442

USER=peter

COMMAND_MODE=unix2003

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-sDSSns/Listeners

__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:3

Apple_Ubiquity_Message=/tmp/launch-YM3m14/Apple_Ubiquity_Message

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin

PWD=/Users/peter

LANG=de_CH.UTF-8

SHLVL=1

HOME=/Users/peter

LOGNAME=peter

_=/usr/bin/env

Jul 29, 2012 5:14 AM in response to DoktorMac

X11 = XQuartz = X11

If you have downloaded and installed the latest version of XQuartz, you now have X11. They are the same exact thing. Double-click / Open XQuartz and you now have X11 running. At that point you can run your X11 apps.

The end.

It may be that some X11 (XWindows) apps look for the X11 app in your Utilities folder. If that is the case, a trick would be to create a static link (not an alias) to the XQuartz app within the Utilities folder and name it 'X11.app'. It's something to try.

Everything that worked with X11 works with XQuartz. When you start up XQuartz it is even named 'X11' in the menu bar. It boots xterm the same as ever.

If you want to get all ambitious and geeky, I highly recommend learning and installing MacPorts.

How do I start x11 on 10.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.