7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2012 11:43 PM by parna
healthy_one Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

It's just after 5AM EST and I'm checking to see if I can download 'Pages', 'Keynote' and 'Numbers'.  I tried my MacPro and receive the message that I must have Mountain Lion.  I then try my iMac and receive the same message.  My MacBook...same message.  So back to my MacPro; I try to download Mountain Lion and receive the message that my Mac is not compatible.  iMac...same thing - not compatible.  MacBook - ditto.  Being a glutten for punishment, I tried my trusty MacServer...same-dang-thing...not compatible.

So here are my questions...has Apple now adopted the main item which really set them apart from other vendors?  The dreaded thought that comes into almost every IT professionals mind - The Forced Upgrade.?.?  It appears they have.  So what does this mean if you weren't fortunate enough to purchase real CD's or DVD's of your software?  What does this mean for your current hardware platform(s)?  So is 10.6.8 now the dead-end of the road for myself and many millions (if not billions) of Apple Accolytes?  Do we now take a serious look at Red Hat or Ubuntu?  Should we revisit...the OS that used to crash quite a bit back in '95 that's now been updated also?  You know the one; its got the four colored squares as its logo and at least two distinctive versions...XP and 7.?.?

Is this a strategy to increase computer sales?  I understood abandoning the PowerPC chipset.  But to blatantly abandon "older" platforms is not a wise business decision given the high price point of the hardware product itself.  I believe (as foolish as it sounds) that Steve Jobs wouldn't have done this.

So with all of that said, I'll be using my Macs as much as I can.  But those "I'm a Mac" advertisements aren't making since today.  That's for sure.

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,450 points)

There is a real catch with the Mac App Store which makes it pretty important to keep backups of purchased apps and to regularly update to latest app versions and keep backups of those too - you then have the latest plus ability to revert to an earlier version if you don't like a change.

Th eproblem is that you only get offered the latest version of teh product not the latest/last compatible version for your OS.

So when Apple updated Pages etc last they made the base requirement Lion 10.7.4.

You are then completely stuck if you can't update to Lion because it si no longer available in the store, unless you'd already purchased it !!!

The same happens with iOS devices - some are stuck on older versions, and when apps update they can leave behind older iPhones/iPads which cannot update.

AC

• parna Level 2 Level 2 (295 points)

Are these apps ones you have bought in the past and want to redownload, or download on older OSs for the first time?

Your computers are presumably excluded from running ML by their age (60% of mine are too).

You can I believe still get the Lion USB stick installer from Apple via their phone store service but it's more expensive than the download would have been.

AC

• healthy_one Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

The only app I had already purchased was 'Pages' on my MacBook.  I went to the Apple store yesterday and they no longer carry software because I wanted the Family Pack of iWork.  Silly me to think it would still be there.

You may find that if you copy the app from Applications to the other Mac's Applications folder it might well install OK.  There is no Family pack equivalent in teh app store - they are by default in effect.

I've done that for large Apps to save downloading again.

The benefit of the App Store model is that purchasing on one machine allows use on any others you have - you may need to authenticate your purchase credentials when running it.

There is small print in iTUnes/Mac App Store T&Cs that basically says that prior purchases will be downloadable if still available - sadly they only keep latest versions available.

AC

• healthy_one Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Thanks for the informaiton.  Especially when according the sys.reqs. site the app should still work.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/systemrequirements.html

• parna Level 2 Level 2 (295 points)

I think you should send your first post to Apple. It will not be seen by them here. There needs to be lots of feedback on this issue of older versions not being available to get some change.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html