Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud shows up twice in my notes

After upgrading to OS 10.8, iCloud shows up twice on my Mac's notes, doubling all my notes. How can I get rid of the second (identical) account?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 6:06 AM

28 replies

Aug 10, 2012 9:11 AM in response to christhewiz

I had the same problem and was able to fix it by doing the following:

1. Open System Preferences

2. Open Mail, Contacts and Calendar

3. Select your iCloud account on the left side and remove it

* it will asks you if you'd like to remove the data from the mac for each item in iCloud that you have synced; say yes to all of them. It doens't delete them from your iCloud account, just your mac.

4. Reboot

* if you check your notes now, they will still show up; don't worry about that.

5. Open System Preferences

6. Open Mail, Contacts and Calendar

7. Add an iCloud account or sign back into it.

8. Select all the items that you want synced up.

Your notes duplicates should be gone and syncing should resume.

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

Dec 5, 2012 7:08 AM in response to captains1stm8

Captain, I'm having the same problem. I followed your instructions to the letter, without resolution.

I've tried it a few times but the second set of notes never goes away. One thing I notice, is that the second set of notes isn't always as up-to-date as the first. When iCloud isn't signed in, it doesn't update at all, but even when icloud is signed in, the first instance of icloud updates a lot faster.

To clarify - when I remove icloud, the second set of notes persist. If I restart, the second set of notes persist. If I re-add/login to icloud the second set of notes persist.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

User uploaded file

Jan 5, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Nicktronic

For me, the following steps worked.

1. Open "System Preferences" -> "Mail, Contacts, & Calendars"
  2. Select iCloud
  3. Uncheck "Notes"
  4. If you get the following - click "Delete from Mac" User uploaded file
  5. Cmd-Tab to Notes application and quit "Notes" with Command-Q or use the menu and select "Notes -> Quit"
  6. Switch back to "System Preferences -> Mail, Contacts, & Calendar" and put a check mark back in notes.

Hopefully that is sufficient for others.

May 26, 2013 6:46 AM in response to sberman

I've tried "Captains" and "Sberman's" suggestions but I'm still stuck with the same two accounts in iCloud. Very frustrating. One account is empty and the other actually contains my notes. The one that has content is the one that correctly syncs with my iPad and iPhone.

Anyone else been able to figure out what's going on here?

User uploaded file

iCloud shows up twice in my notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.