Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine error, backup disk image "/volumes/data-1/.sparesbundle " already in use. I don;t know what this means, can someone help?

My Mac mini time capsule is showing an error Time machine error, backup disk image "/volumes/data-1/.sparesbundle " already in use. I don;t know what this means, can someone help?

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:21 AM

6 replies

Jul 30, 2012 10:09 PM in response to hulk smash

I had a similar problem and I solved it as follows -

• In Time Machine - > I deselected time capsule Data Disk as a destination.
  • Then I pulled the power plug on the Time Capsule, twiddled my thumbs for 15 secs, plugged the power back in.
  • Went back t Time Machine -> Re-Added the Time Capsule Data Disk as destination. And then tested by selecting Backup Now.
  • All went well and the backup picked up from before the problem.

BTW - I also have a USB drive connected to Time Capsule that is an alternate disk for Time Machine to backup.

In Mountain Lion the GUI lets you add more than one Time Machine backup destinations very easily so I think it a good idea to have redundancy.

Hope this helps.

Jul 30, 2012 10:34 PM in response to Chameleon2012

Chameleon2012 wrote:

I had a similar problem and I solved it as follows -

That accomplishes the same thing as #C12 -- disconnects all users from the drive(s).

But also takes your network down 😟, which #C12 doesn't.

In Mountain Lion the GUI lets you add more than one Time Machine backup destinations very easily so I think it a good idea to have redundancy.

True, but that may not be the best way to get redundancy. See the yellow box in Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #34.

Time machine error, backup disk image "/volumes/data-1/.sparesbundle " already in use. I don;t know what this means, can someone help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.