Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages disappointment, what happened?

now that messages has replaced ichat

- i can no longer see my ichat buddy list

- no more screen sharing

- no more 3 -way video chat

and the biggest disappointment is the facetime camera which is awful.

how do i go back to the ichat camera where everyone can fit in the picture and not just my face ??

and no i dont use AIM or google

is there any way i can re install ichat?

am i really going to be forced to use AIM ? 😕

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 9:42 AM

13 replies

Jul 29, 2012 2:01 PM in response to davim026

Sounds like you used to use iChat with your Apple id. am I correct?

So if you did, at one point you used your apple ID to log into aol (this is a fact).

the only thing new about Messages(ichat) is iMessage integration.

It sounds like you're using iMessages right now, which is exactly how you describe.

To get what you used to have in iChat, with your buddy list and screen sharing and all that good stuff, go to Messages>preferences>accounts hit the plus sign in the side bar and then log in with your APPLE ID to AIM's servers.

You should be signed in, your buddy list should appear (with all your buddies still in tact) and you will have all the benefits of Messages (formerly iChat).

Please trust me when I say, that you used to be logged into aim with your Apple ID, and try it before you say you weren't 😉

I hope this clarrifies things for you.

Jul 29, 2012 2:07 PM in response to firstmagic

i can't even select BUDDIES on the top screen , it wont let me.

the only possibly way i can look for a buddy is through the contact list. but I cant add them , it only gives me the option to text them and use facetime camera, and thats it. If the person on my contact list does not have the app Messages , i cant send them a message, so basically i cant talk to any of my buddies with ichat ( OS X LION).

when i go to account setup , i only get the optiong to add Yahoo , AIM or Google.

im sure theres a simple solution to this, but i just can't figure it out.

thanks for help guys, ill keep trying....

Jul 29, 2012 2:33 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

to TheSmokeMonster.

THANK YOU.

yes I did use iChat with my Apple id. and NO , i had absolutely no idea i used to be logged into aim with my Apple ID. Why is there no discussion with this solution? you should really start one , i've been using ichat for so long with my apple ID that using AIM to connect didn't even cross my mind.

I'm about to email this discussion to a lot of people who have asked me the same thing this week, and could not log in.

Messages disappointment, what happened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.