Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aggregated device with AirPlay @ Mountain Lion

My current setup:

• living room: AirPort Express connected to receiver
  • bedroom: Macbook Pro (late 2009) with Mountain Lion in combination with Spotify and/or iTunes

I would like to have the sound of spotify/itunes be sent simultaneously to and the optical out of my macbook and the airport express in the living. So I created an aggregated device using this support file: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3956# - I ticked the box on both AirPlay and Built-in Output but there is no sound getting transfered to the Airport Express when both are ticked together.

If I only tick the Airplay checkbox it works perfectly in the living room and if I only tick the Built-in Ouput in it works perfectly on the macbook. But not both checkboxes combined.

Screenshots for clarification to be found here: http://imgur.com/a/K0KND#0

• screenshot 1) works as intended: sound on airport express via AirPlay
  • screenshot 2) does not work as intended: only sound on macbook pro
  • screenshot 3) works as intended: sound on macbook pro via Built-in output

So any clue why the setup from screenshot 2 does not work?

I reckon this has to be a bug. Can anyone else reproduce this?

MBP 15" 2.8GHZ 7200RPM 500GB, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 10:38 AM

16 replies

Apr 18, 2013 9:04 AM in response to Fredd-E

Some extra weird behavior to report:

- I did manage to get both outputs to work. For that I had to set the output of the Built-in Output as 2ch-16bit Integer, like the AirPlay output. The sound takes about 3-5 seconds to output (which I attibute to some sort of AirPlay buffering).

- However, the above only worked when I used an emulated AirPlay receiver (using www.airserver.com), but not with an Airport Express.

- In addition, the output was out of sync, which also happened with Airfoil.

Aug 15, 2013 11:49 AM in response to Fredd-E

I'm having the exact same problem.

Tried to set up a multi-output deivce. As with the screenshots Fredd-E posted, selecting "Built-in" by itself, or "Airplay" by itself work fine. When I select both, it only plays through the built-in speakers.

I tried changing the format of built-in to 2ch-16bit integer (without airserver) but it didn't work.

Now trying every combination of settings!?

Any news on the bug report with apple?

Apr 19, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Fredd-E

Looks like this is still an issue.

I was able to get around the problem by using Soundflower. I created a multi-output device that included digital out and 2ch Soundflower output. Then I pointed the Soundflower output to Airplay. It works, but there's about 1.5 second delay between the local audio and the airplay output. Still trying to figure out how to buffer this.

Jun 2, 2014 5:46 PM in response to Fredd-E

This is actually not a bug. To put it simply, what you want to do isn't supported. Not just by Apple, but more so by the software you're using (ie: Spotify).

By checking off both devices, you are effectively creating a single device with 4 outputs: L and R on Mac, L and R on Airplay.

This issue is in telling which audio streams to go to which output, and that level of audio routing is not something that is built into most software. Spotify will just go off of your system default, which will just route the audio to the first 2 outputs it finds (L and R on your Mac in this case).

Even if you could route the audio within Spotify itself, this wouldn't help your issue, because essentially what you're asking for is your 1 stereo audio stream to be copied to all possible outputs. This too is not a supported feature.

You may be wondering at this point "Then what good is this aggregate device option?!"

It's really designed for audio engineers that have several different audio streams and several audio devices connected to their computer. They may want to route audio streams to several different locations, which is why you'll notice that "Configure Speakers" button in your screenshot. Apps like Logic have native support for this and you can do all sorts of routing within it. Setting up an aggregate device allows me to have several pieces of hardware connected to my computer, and instead of having to switch between which one I'm using, I can use all of them at once, and chose different audio to come out of different places (ie: surround sound).

Soundflower is your best bet, as it can easily achieve what you're looking for.

Hope this helps, and if you have any Soundflower questions, let me know.

Jun 2, 2014 6:16 PM in response to Fredd-E

Actually, nevermind. I found a solution.

Instead of creating an "Aggregate device" you need to create a "Multi-Output Device"

I would have originally mentioned it, but I didn't think this was a feature of Mountain Lion. A quick google search says it indeed is.

Click on the little + on the bottom of the Audio Midi Setup app, choose Multi-Output Device, then check off Built in Output and Airplay. Then you're all set!

Just make sure you set your system output to "Multi-output Device"

Aggregated device with AirPlay @ Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.