Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly can't edit iCal events on iPhone

This just started happening today after syncing my iPhone to my iMac (via cable - I stopped using iCloud sync after it royally screwed up my phone).

I'd previously noted a few weeks back that I'd lost the ability to assign events to the different calendars I have enabled - they all end up in the default calendar/color. Now there's no "Edit" button at all on the Event Details screen on the iPhone.

All iCal functions are still fine on my iMac.

I've also lost the three or four subscription calendars (astronomical events, art exhibits, etc) I previously had in the app - they're now gone from both the iPhone and iMac versions of iCal.

I've disabled the "Birthdays" calendar on the iPhone as was suggested in another post on this topic - no help.

Anyone have any idea what gives?

~ Patrick

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 11:44 AM

FYI to anyone interested:

Apparently this was (yet another) iCould problem. I had already disabled calendar syncing via iCloud from my iPhone (Settings > iCloud > Calendar = OFF), but had to also disable it on my iMac (System Preferences > iCloud > Calendar = Unchecked). Now all of my calendar events are once again editable, and I was able to re-define all of the separate calendars that iCloud had decided to merge into one default calendar.

WARNING: In doing this, I lost a good number of iCal events on BOTH my iPhone and iMac.... I think they were all the events which had at one time previously been synced through iCloud, but I think it may have deleted even more recent ones - whether ones I'd created on my phone or my mac, I can't say for sure. In any case, you might want to try backing up or at least printing out all of your current iCal events from both mac and phone before doing this.

This is the second time iCloud has deleted data from both my phone and mac. I'll have nothing to do with iCloud until Apple can work the bugs out of it and/or give users better explanations of - and greater control over - the way it functions (i.e. discerning between UPloading info from phone to cloud or mac to cloud vs. DOWNloading info from cloud to specific device vs. MERGING info from cloud with info resident on specific device).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2012 11:44 AM in response to PDiggy

FYI to anyone interested:

Apparently this was (yet another) iCould problem. I had already disabled calendar syncing via iCloud from my iPhone (Settings > iCloud > Calendar = OFF), but had to also disable it on my iMac (System Preferences > iCloud > Calendar = Unchecked). Now all of my calendar events are once again editable, and I was able to re-define all of the separate calendars that iCloud had decided to merge into one default calendar.

WARNING: In doing this, I lost a good number of iCal events on BOTH my iPhone and iMac.... I think they were all the events which had at one time previously been synced through iCloud, but I think it may have deleted even more recent ones - whether ones I'd created on my phone or my mac, I can't say for sure. In any case, you might want to try backing up or at least printing out all of your current iCal events from both mac and phone before doing this.

This is the second time iCloud has deleted data from both my phone and mac. I'll have nothing to do with iCloud until Apple can work the bugs out of it and/or give users better explanations of - and greater control over - the way it functions (i.e. discerning between UPloading info from phone to cloud or mac to cloud vs. DOWNloading info from cloud to specific device vs. MERGING info from cloud with info resident on specific device).

Aug 27, 2012 11:55 AM in response to PDiggy

I am interested, and thank you for the post.

I did as you suggest, but becasue I was trying to play nice wihwith Apple and iCloud I stopped carrying all of the calendars as separate editable accounts--and this was done to prevent all of the Event Duplication.

So, now that I have only one calendar operational, when I follow the steps in your post, I delete ALL of my calendar events.

So it appears I am stuck with one of the three:

1. No calendar data

2. Duplicate calendar data

3. Uneditable calendar data

Nice!

I certainly wish somoen form Apple would join the conversation wihwith a solution. Or, give me my money back and I'll find some 3rd party cloud system that works. I'm easy.

Jul 2, 2013 4:17 AM in response to PDiggy

I have just got the same, switched from cp to mac and....hmm, good in parts...

Anyway, I've gone for leaving it syncing the Calendar with the iCloud on the mac ONLY.

Then workaround by virtue of the fact that NEW entries, made either on iPhone or mac are now editable, even after iTunes synching.

Naturally the OLD uneditable entries will gradually become extinct!!! And new will arise like a Phoenix.... Ok, ok.

Ok, as I write, I have just noticed that, although you can't edit these offending entries on the iPhone, I can edit them on the mac calendar and successfully sync the amendments to the iPhone.

Solution, no, but workaround, yes.

Suddenly can't edit iCal events on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.