Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dvd player does not work after installing mountain lion

Has anyone had trouble playing a dvd after installing mountain lion?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 1:01 PM

18 replies

Jul 29, 2012 1:10 PM in response to gtjudd

You haven't indicated if you have tried multiple DVD/CD's or just the one. Look under the "Apple > About This Mac > More Info.. > Disk Burning " do you see the Superdrive? If the system recognizes it but it doesn't work try a

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Shut down the computer.
  • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
  • Wait 15 seconds.
  • Attach the computers power cable.
  • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.
  • The 5 second timing is important to a successful reset.

Aug 6, 2012 2:17 AM in response to david carson

I have a similar problem on my Mac Mini. Trying to watch a DVD movie (I use the Mac Mini as a mediacentre, and it HAS to work with DVD, as it is my only DVD player.)

The DVD-player recognises the disc, and are able to start it, but then it goes to a grey/white mosaic picture. I've tried multiple DVDs, and they are all the same. I also tried playing the video file through VLC and Boxee, but it's all mosaic, though I don't get the grey/white mosaic on these - the picture is just messed up, like a bad sattelite signal.

This is the sort of thing Apple need to sort out, and fast! On the Lion update I had trouble with sound falling out, and now this. I have to say I do not care for iCloud and notifications ect. if I can't make very basic functions like this work.

Aug 7, 2012 11:41 PM in response to gtjudd

Have exactly the same problem on my 24" imac, the dvd player app goes to a black screen and then unexpectedly quits. Also I can not airplay a dvd to my apple TV, all I get is a checkered grey sceen. Having said this I can do all the above successfully if I use VLC instead of apples DVD player.

Any thoughts or help concerning apples DVD player app with mountain lion would be great.

Jan 25, 2013 6:56 PM in response to gtjudd

I had this same problem when I first got my MBP and came here looking for a solution. Absent one, I thought I'd just keep coming back until there was one. In the meantime I brought it to my daughter's house to show her and she told me she'd heard they could play blu-ray. Thinking it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, I put one in and was told it couldn't play it; not by quitting like it did before but through some error message about format (don't remember now). Then I tried a conventional DVD and now it works. Don't know why and it makes no sense, but now it works.

dvd player does not work after installing mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.