Previous 1 2 Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2013 3:28 PM by bert_home
gtjudd Level 1 (0 points)

Has anyone had trouble playing a dvd after installing mountain lion?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion
  • RRFS Level 5 (4,490 points)

You haven't indicated if you have tried multiple DVD/CD's or just the one. Look under the "Apple > About This Mac > More Info.. > Disk Burning " do you see the Superdrive? If the system recognizes it but it doesn't work try a

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Shut down the computer.
    • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
    • Wait 15 seconds.
    • Attach the computers power cable.
    • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.
    • The 5 second timing is important to a successful reset.
  • gtjudd Level 1 (0 points)

I tried several dvd's with the same response.  The black dvd player screen comes up but then goes back to the desktop with a message: "DVD Player quit unexpectedly".  I tried the SMC Reset, but that did not appear to help.

• baltwo Level 9 (62,215 points)

Zap the PRAM and  try again.

• david carson Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem - neither PRM or SMC reset has fixed it.

Anyone else with a similar problem - or alternative suggestion to get it fixed.

• hawkiiz Level 1 (0 points)

I have a similar problem on my Mac Mini. Trying to watch a DVD movie (I use the Mac Mini as a mediacentre, and it HAS to work with DVD, as it is my only DVD player.)

The DVD-player recognises the disc, and are able to start it, but then it goes to a grey/white mosaic picture. I've tried multiple DVDs, and they are all the same. I also tried playing the video file through VLC and Boxee, but it's all mosaic, though I don't get the grey/white mosaic on these - the picture is just messed up, like a bad sattelite signal.

This is the sort of thing Apple need to sort out, and fast! On the Lion update I had trouble with sound falling out, and now this. I have to say I do not care for iCloud and notifications ect. if I can't make very basic functions like this work.

• nordster68 Level 1 (0 points)

Have exactly the same problem on my 24" imac, the dvd player app goes to a black screen and then unexpectedly quits. Also I can not airplay a dvd to my apple TV, all I get is a checkered grey sceen. Having said this I can do all the above successfully if I use VLC instead of apples DVD player.

Any thoughts or help concerning apples DVD player app with mountain lion would be great.

• Miketorres01 Level 1 (0 points)

Im having the same problem, the app starts up, screen goes black like its going to play, but then quits unexpectedly. I have a less-than-a-month-old macbook pro. it could be a problem with the OS, since its more than just one of us. hopefully an update will solve this and other app bugs.

• losdelrock Level 1 (7 points)

Mine is worse than this - it just will not take the discs in and spits them out.  Please See:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4231089

Tried most things and have even ordered a new drive.....

Adrian.

• losdelrock Level 1 (7 points)

Did any of you Region Free the drive?

Adrian.

• rafaelwaa Level 1 (0 points)

I got the same problem dude, my screen became a chessboard ! Just use another player, such as VLC, that u gonna be ok

• petersmoney Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem: white/grey checkerboard on MacMini running OSX 10.8.2. No matter what DVD I tried. Same thing happens when I try to play from disc images.

However, I also use an iMac 27" also running 10.8.2 and DVD player works just fine.

So, whata is going on.

Peter

• Jules1857 Level 1 (10 points)

I had this same problem when I first got my MBP and came here looking for a solution. Absent one, I thought I'd just keep coming back until there was one. In the meantime I brought it to my daughter's house to show her and she told me she'd heard they could play blu-ray. Thinking it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, I put one in and was told it couldn't play it; not by quitting like it did before but through some error message about format (don't remember now). Then I tried a conventional DVD and now it works. Don't know why and it makes no sense, but now it works.

• petersmoney Level 1 (0 points)

to Jules1857:

I can confirm your finding. After reading your post I tried to play a BluRay DVD which of course DVD player app said: Unsupported Disc. After that DVDs play fine.

That is lame, Apple!

• baltwo Level 9 (62,215 points)

petersmoney wrote:

That is lame, Apple!

Don't waste any time here telling Apple, since these are user-to-user forums. For that, use its feedback pages: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ and http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html, for example.

Previous 1 2 Next