Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any DropBox users here? folder management question:

Just started using DB solely to back up my documents.

My question is, how do you maintain DB on your desktop?

More specifically (for example) if you were solely backing up docs, would you just keep your entire docs folder in the dropbox folder (with no local folder on your desktop) or, would you have your normal "my documents" folder and a copy of it in DB?

The latter option takes more time as youd have to save all of your files twice (once to the "my docs" folder in DB and the other to the "my docs" folder in your local user folder).

I guess I could just save to my local user folder and occasionally sync my DB folder with my local folder using something like SynToy?

What do you do?

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 2:22 PM

You sign up for service, install client utility on computer ‘A’ ., Client utility creates ‘My DropBox’ folder under ‘My Documents’ ., Client copies/synchronizes contents of My DropBox to your DropBox account., You install client utility on computer ‘B’ Client brings all files down from your DropBox online account to your ‘My DropBox’ folder on this computer (B) .,You change a file on Computer B, files get uploaded and then synchronized to Computer A as soon as the client utility connects from that computer. The files and folders inside your DropBox directory get a handy little sync indicator showing if the file has been uploaded or if it is pending upload to the online service.

So I think the easy way is to let your document programs on your computer save there files directly to the Dropbox folder.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2012 2:22 PM in response to kwitel

You sign up for service, install client utility on computer ‘A’ ., Client utility creates ‘My DropBox’ folder under ‘My Documents’ ., Client copies/synchronizes contents of My DropBox to your DropBox account., You install client utility on computer ‘B’ Client brings all files down from your DropBox online account to your ‘My DropBox’ folder on this computer (B) .,You change a file on Computer B, files get uploaded and then synchronized to Computer A as soon as the client utility connects from that computer. The files and folders inside your DropBox directory get a handy little sync indicator showing if the file has been uploaded or if it is pending upload to the online service.

So I think the easy way is to let your document programs on your computer save there files directly to the Dropbox folder.

Jul 29, 2012 2:57 PM in response to HereIsTom

Understood; I will save directly to my DB folder, on my main compuetr (which will also free up some space on my main computers harddrive.

I think since this is my first time using a cloud service, im a little fearful of the unknown/something happening that is outside of my control (i.e some sort of power outage, virus, etc. that affects my docs on DB).

I guess I could just back up the folder that I have on DB to a portable/external hard-drive, the same way I would back up my docs now to an external drive.

Any DropBox users here? folder management question:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.