Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody else having problems with Mountain Lion restrictions on unknown applications?

After upgrading to the new Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 i can't open an application I already had downloaded that worked on the previous OS X Lion.

It came up with a message saying it wouldn't open because of an unknown developer, and I read you can get around it by right click or option click and open.

When I tried this it didn't come up with a message saying it wouldn't open, but the application still didn't open. Anyone come across this problem and figure out how to fix it?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 2:11 PM

5 replies

Jul 29, 2012 2:19 PM in response to RubyRedPress

If you open System Preferences>Security & Privacy. Under the General tab choose to Allow Applications downloaded from anywhere.

Now you should be able to launch the application.

A couple caveats:

I assume the app in question is one you used before and is from a know developer that you trust.

It's probably a good idea to restore the Allow Downloads setting back to one of the two more restrictive setttings.

Matt

Anybody else having problems with Mountain Lion restrictions on unknown applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.