Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing redraw problem

I am seeing graphical redraw problems when I try screen sharing with another Mac 10.8 computer, Mac Mini mid 2011. For example, when switching menus, the old ones remain. This always worked just fine in Lion. I tried turning adaptive and scaling off and on, but no difference.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 4:35 PM

42 replies

Jul 30, 2012 4:51 AM in response to InterLingo

The Mac Mini 2011 with M.L. has 8 GB of memory. Screen sharing works normally with another Mac Mini with Snow Leopard, so I think the problem resides with the Mac Mini 2011 with M.L.

Also, I have a video conference unit connected to the HDMI port and a video capture device connected to the thunderbold port. This issue occurs when I make the thunderbolt port my primary display. I think that thunderbolt device doesn't allow for Quartz rendering.

Screen sharing is closely coupled with the physical display that is plugged in. This worked fine under Lion, so something changed for the worse. Anyone out there have more understsnding of how this all works under Mountain Lion?

Jul 30, 2012 10:40 PM in response to InterLingo

Same problem here. Nothing particularly fancy in my setup. I have an iMac and a Mini, both of which I just upgraded to ML. All other circumstances are the same (memory, network, etc.). I normally use screen sharing from the iMac to control the Mini (which I use for videos & music), and it worked very impressively under Snow Leopard. Now the performance is very poor and there are frequent hangs in the replicated display. Tried tweaking all the settings for Screen Sharing on the controllling machine, but no help.

Jul 31, 2012 6:31 AM in response to InterLingo

Appreicte the comments here, looks like we're all in a similar boat. I rolled my target machine (Mac Mini i7 2011) back to 10.7.4 but kept the client (MacBook Pro 2.53 2009) on 10.8, and everything is back to normal with no artifacting/redraw problems.

It seems with my client on 10.8 I still get the advantages, such as drag-drop file transfers, shared clipbord, and those box indicators for screen selection. Looks like I'm stuck on 10.7.4 on the Mac Mini till Apple gets this cleaned up!

Aug 20, 2012 6:20 AM in response to rudibarani

Same issues here.

2009 Mini running Snow Leopard trying to screen-share to & from new MacBook Pro 15" (non-retina) running ML.

On the MBP, sharing the Mini screen requires poking at the "scaling" option to force display of the screen image. PLUS the menu bar of the Mini is not visible at all (erp!). (Looks like it is covered by the (redundant!) new options within the window chrome.) Going full screen does not solve the issue.

(The obscured menu bar problem could be confounded by the fact that the Mini is running two displays of slightly different pixel size. But never had a problem sharing on my earlier Mac laptop.)

On the Mini, no luck connecting to the MBP screen at all. It rejected my user login. I even created a special user and password. Now it tries to connect forever.

Dysfunction junction.

Sep 8, 2012 8:50 PM in response to Richard Conner

Don't know whether I found the problem, but I did manage to get Screen Sharing working reasonably again.

Things had gotten so bad that even mouse moves and keystrokes were getting mangled and delayed, so I decided to try a VNC client (Chicken of the VNC) to see whether things were better. I had to set the host machine to accept VNC connections, so you could say I "touched" the screen sharing panel in System Preferences. I also shut down the Screen Sharing app on the client side so I could use the VNC. The VNC worked OK but would not display the entre screen, so I quit. Then I restarted the Screen Sharing client, and--hey presto--it worked! Response to mouse & keyboard were back, and video was good enough to watch a video.

So, I guess folks could try (1) jiggling something in the Screen Sharing prefs on the host machine, and (2) restarting the Screen Sharing client.

-- rick

Sep 21, 2012 8:08 PM in response to Richard Conner

Just installed the 10.8.2 update on both my Mac Mini (the screen sharing server) and my iMac (the client). It's only been a couple of days so far, but I think that Screen Sharing may have returned to its previous level of performance. Not snappy, mind you, but adequate for my needs. Screen Sharing is not explicitly mentioned in the list of fixes, but perhaps was included anyway.

-- rick

Screen sharing redraw problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.