Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos from photos?

How do I delete photos from the photos on my iPad?

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 4:54 PM

Photos that were taken with the iPad (or any photos in the camera roll) can be deleted right on the iPad. Tap the trash can icon in the top right corner if you are viewing the photo in full screen, or if you are viewing as thumbnails - tap the arrow in the upper right corner - tap the photos that you want to delete and then tap - Delete.

Photos that were synced from your computer using iTunes can only be deleted by de-selecting them from the folder from where they were synced - and then re-syncing.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2012 4:54 PM in response to judith4

Photos that were taken with the iPad (or any photos in the camera roll) can be deleted right on the iPad. Tap the trash can icon in the top right corner if you are viewing the photo in full screen, or if you are viewing as thumbnails - tap the arrow in the upper right corner - tap the photos that you want to delete and then tap - Delete.

Photos that were synced from your computer using iTunes can only be deleted by de-selecting them from the folder from where they were synced - and then re-syncing.

Jan 12, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Demo

And how do you 'de-select them from the folder' when the folder is an album in iPhoto? If I am in iTunes and chose to synch from iPhoto, I have to select an album in iPhoto (not individual photos) and it appears that all the photos in that album are copied onto the iPad. As none were selected, none can be 'de-selected'. I now have over 100 photos on my iPad that I did not want and have not been successful in delete any of them.

Thanks for any help.

Jan 12, 2015 1:11 PM in response to LJ-Bettona

OK, I went back into iTunes and decided to re-interpret the instructions on the screen (or maybe it's because I've upgraded to Yosemite since I moved the photos). I unchecked the iPhoto 'event' and clicked Apply. Those photos have now vanished! Yeah!!

I also now appear to have the option of selecting any folder on the Mac that I may copy to the iPad. And, all my screensavers are now on my iPad. Yippee!!

So, it would seem that if I want only some of the 10s of thousands of photos I have in iPhoto, I will have to create a separate folder on my desktop and painstakingly copy the ones I want to this folder so that I can then copy that folder onto the iPad. Why, oh why, can I not select the photos I want from the list that appears when a folder is highlighted in the iTunes options? Please? It's so much simpler and in keeping with the Apple ethos of the simplest way possible.

At least I have gotten rid of the unwanted ones. Look on the bright side.

Jan 12, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Ralph9430

I want a subset of my extensive collection of photos on my iPad. The photos stored in iPhoto are there because I want to keep them. The ones I'm not interested in at the moment are archived on my external hard drive. Your method means I have to delete some from iPhoto (which I do not want to do) or copy them to a different folder, delete them from iPhoto, synch the 'event' then put them back. Should be a simpler way.

Aug 28, 2015 11:37 PM in response to LJ-Bettona

I still don't understand. I always had trouble with iPhoto, but now we have to use Photos, it's even worse. I have deleted photos from my iPhone or iPad, but copies stil appear in my desktop Photos app, and Photos Help only tells you how to delete a Book or Album which I have never created.

Why does each photo appear twice? And why is it all so difficult?

How do I delete photos from photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.