Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RANDOM SWOOSHES

every 5 minuites I hear a swoosh and it is DRIVING ME INSANE!!! I only have finder and safari open to write this and i still hear this

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 5:59 PM

Like when you're sending an Email in MAil?

hit CMD+Tab to see what application are open.

Look at your toolbar and make sure none of those apps have that "feature"

11 replies

Aug 21, 2012 4:25 PM in response to nmash1937

I found what causes the swoosh sound. It comes from ichat. If you look in the settings there is nothing that shows you how to enable/disable it. The audio files can be found by going into your applications folder then right clicking on ichat and select show package content then go into contents then resources and the files are:

Buddy Logging in.aiff
Buddy Logging out.aiff

you can either rename/delete these files or replace them with another audio file.

Sep 27, 2012 9:05 AM in response to nmash1937

Same issue here - was making me crazy. I used to use Adium for messaging before Mountain Lion upgrade but giving the native Messaging a try - it was those settings. By default, I was getting the "swoosh" sound everytime a buddy would come on or go offline. Decided I really didn't need to hear everytime someone when on/off - so went into Messages/Preferences/Alerts and changed the sound for that specific activity for buddies coming on/offine (in otherwords, unchecked the play a sound option). Seemed to take care of my random swooshes - much more peaceful now!

Dec 31, 2012 6:03 AM in response to SarmenHB

Or you can just turn them off in their respective preferences, without deleting things that aren't supposed to be deleted.

Messages/iChat>preferences>alerts And then find the pulldown menu for alerts and turn them off by clicking the checkbox next to them.

In fact, I wouldn't just go around deleting files that one doesn't need to delete to change.

RANDOM SWOOSHES

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.