Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app switcher not working in mountain lion

I go to command- tab to switcher to different apps using mountain lion and it won't switch apps. Anyone else having this problem?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 7:42 PM

11 replies

Aug 13, 2012 2:40 PM in response to KorvairKid

I'm having the same issue as well. I'm assuming this is a Mission Control bug... I only notice it when I have apps on different MC desktops and switching back and forth between them doesn't switch to the other desktop where the application window is at.

IE: I'm using Safari on Desktop 1 and using Coda 2 on Desktop 2

So now I'm back to using one MC desktop

Aug 18, 2012 5:32 PM in response to KorvairKid

I noticed this right after upgrading to Mountain Lion. I usually put my iMac to sleep rather than powering it down. After a few sleep cycles, the dock stops tracking which app is open (the LED lights does does not light up anymore, and newly opened apps do not show on the dock, in app switcher, nor in Mission Control).

However it does not prevent me from using the app, but its irritating when you have many apps opened and there's no way to switch between them since as far as Finder does not even know its opened. Only solution is to reboot.

Aug 26, 2012 12:40 AM in response to dufffader

I'm having the same problem as well. Yes, it works again immediately following a reboot but when working with the computer for a while and starting apps, moving them around desktops, switching between them etc. makes the problem reappear. I experience this a couple of times/day. Instead of a reboot, you may just kill the Dock process and start it again. You can do that from Terminal or just start Activity Monitor, chose Dock and Quit.

Anyway, very annoying and I was hoping 10.8.1 would solve the issue but it doesn't... I experience this mostly when working with Parallels Desktop.

Sep 27, 2012 11:07 PM in response to KorvairKid

I'm also experiencing this very annoying problem! I only upgraded to ML once 10.8.2 was released with the battery life fixes.

This CMD+TAB issue is a problem when switching between apps in different (Mission Control) Spaces... it's ok if they're in the same space but it will not switch spaces.

I'm sure I've rebooted and still have the problem. Will have to try again..

Sep 27, 2012 11:29 PM in response to shred head fred

Also just noticed that I can switch FROM a full screen app TO any other (non-full screen) app in another space and it does switch to that space. But can't then switch back or to any other app on another space, as expected.

Plus if you have mutliple full screen apps open then you can quite happily switch between them! So I guess Apple expects us to run everything full screen?!

This had better get fixed for 10.8.3... although re the Parallels mention - I have recently upgrade to PD8 so perhaps not coincidental? Can't recall if the prob first happened before that though.

app switcher not working in mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.