Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud "tabs" not working

So, i finally made the jump to the cloud. So far , so good... except one hickup.

When I open Safari on my iMac, and click on the iCloud symbol, it is supposed to show me all the open tabs on my other iOS devices (iPad, iPhone).

When I click it, all it does, is bring up a "pop-up" that says, "iCloud automatically shows all the open tabs on all your other devices."

Even though I have open tabs on my other devices, it does not show them.

In settings>iCloud> ... I have turned all tabs on except for documents and data and photo stream. But, the Safari tab is on. The bookmarks tab DOES work though. But the iCloud shared Tab feature does not. Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 9:04 PM

I was having the same problem, then I noticed the footnote on Apple's Mountain Lion features page that says "iCloud Tabs on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch requires iOS 6." (http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html#safari).

Looks like for now we can only sync tabs between Mac's - not mobile devices.

50 replies

Aug 9, 2012 4:49 PM in response to firemediclex

I'm running iOS 6 on the New iPad and so far iCloud Tabs leave a lot to be desired. I currently have three tabs open in Safari on my Mac running Mountain Lion and six tabs on my iPad. When I click on the iCloud button the tabs that show open on the other device are tabs I had open yesterday.

I know it is still in Beta but right now this feature is leaving a lot to be desired.

Sep 5, 2012 11:52 AM in response to firemediclex

I can do you one better. I am not running the beta of iOS 6, but the feature was actually working for me for a little over a week and suddenly today it stopped working. Better yet, AppleCare did not know that you had to have iOS 6 for this feature to work, so they created a case and put me through an hour's work of ridiculous attempts at "trouble-shooting" on 2 separate phone calls. There's even a support article that gives steps to resolve this issue, which doesn't mention needing iOS 6.

At the 40min mark of call #2 I found this thread in the forums and informed the agent. He thought it was funny. He just kept laughing and laughing about it. I told him it was lame and a complete waste of my time. He said, "I'm not happy about it, either." Then went back to laughing. I still have no idea how or why this feature worked from Aug 28-Sept 4. He said, "They must have been testing the feature..." But of course, it wouldn't have been available to me on iOS 5.1.1 if that was the case, but whatever...

It's amazing to me that 2 separate Techs and their Supervisors at AppleCare could not figure out that you have to have iOS 6 for this feature to be active.

AppleCare is just not what it was 2-3 years ago. I continuously have to resolve my own issues while on long calls.

I'll say the feature was pretty cool when it was working.

Sep 5, 2012 1:03 PM in response to timstidham

Wow Tim..... That *****!!!!!!! I agree with you though, most of the time, the Apple community is way more effective at solving my issues than Apple care has been lately. And the bonus is that I don't have to wait on the phone for 2 hrs, and talk to 5 people who don't have the answer. I can simply post it here, walk away, and check on it later in the day and there is usually an informative answer.

Sep 6, 2012 3:46 AM in response to firemediclex

What is possible for the time being, though, is to bookmark a page on a different device (I am using an iPhone running iOS 5.1.1) and add the bookmark to the Bookmarks Bar.

Surely, iCould Tabs will be brilliant, but for now, at least I don't have to type in the address of the eight (8) tabs I currently have open in Safari on iOS in order to wipe it clean of data (which I do from time to time).

I know this isn't what you were looking for, but at least there's a way to get your open tabs on a different device on to your Mac without much nuisance.

This is sort of like advertising the Facebook intergration and then release it a few weeks after in OS X 10.8.1. I sure did look for it for a while before realising it wasn't in the 10.8.0 release.

Sep 19, 2012 6:00 PM in response to firemediclex

I was having the same problem but I noticed that you have to make sure private browsing is off on all of your devices for it to work. When its off on all devices then it will still take a lil while for it to come through. When it works it's pretty cool. I have a mac pro and an iphone4s so I wondered if the screen would be tiny but I forgot about the option for a desktop version on the webpages.

iCloud "tabs" not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.