Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange blob on iMac 27 inch screen!

Hi there!

I bought my machine in November 2011 and about a month ago I noticed a strange blob appearing on the screen. Since then it has gotten MUCH worse and very roughly travels from the lower left corner to the upper right.

It is not on the glass, it is on the actual screen!

User uploaded file

I live in a smoke free environment and it does not seem to be dust. There is no way water could have gotten in there.

It is a Mid 2011 27 inch iMac.

I am curious if anyone else has had the same problem and if applecare covers it and if so how difficult it is to get them to replace the screen.. Thanks!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011)

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 9:20 PM

3 replies

Aug 25, 2012 12:15 AM in response to Sibant

That looks familiar.

As my iMac (i5 2.7GHz mid-2011) is outside the guarantee period I decided to look into this problem as my screen has also developed darkened smears.

After taking the whole thing apart, it's now clear (in my case) it isn't simply a dust problem, the outer screen, backlight and LCD layers were found to be surprisingly dustfree.

However, there seem to be problems with the actual liquid crystal layer, this would explain why the smears fade or accentuate depending on the temperature of the working environment and the heat output of the processor block. The location of these smears is just above the processor block.

A replacement panel is the only answer.

Strange blob on iMac 27 inch screen!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.