Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Macbook Pro strange fan noise

Hi all, i just got my retina macbook pro 2 days ago, however when starting it up for the first time there was a strange noise coming from the computer (probably fans), it was like a blocked fan kicking in loudly but only for a few seconds. I figured that it was nothing but it came back when i used it today and i noticed that this sound is only present when the computer is warm. It only comes for a few seconds and then fades away, is this normal? I'll try to post a recording up here if i can.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 11:08 PM

8 replies

Aug 2, 2012 7:01 AM in response to HongLJ

I have the same thing, got my MBPR yesterday and I've had that noise twice now. It worries me as it doesn't quite sound "right". It almost sounds like ejecting a CD, although I know there is no optical drive in the computer.

Maybe the Apple Care protection plan will be necessary after all... I'm a bit worried about the MBPR in the long run 😟

Aug 2, 2012 7:14 AM in response to Puffton

I think i found out the 'strange noise' at startup already. It's the noise of your user account coming up, then when you type in your password if it includes capital letters you will hear that sound when you press shift. Try pressing shift repeatedly during startup at your user account (before entering desktop) and that might just be the sound that we all mistaken for a fan malfunction or something else. Cheers!

Oct 20, 2012 11:09 AM in response to HongLJ

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro Retina . . . took it into my local Genius Bar, where a nice woman identified it as noise from one (or both?) of the fans. She took it apart, removed some debris (couldn't have been much, after a couple of months) and . . . the computer continues to make this annoying noise.

I believe this must be a serious design flaw on Apple's part, and that they don't know what to do about it.

We can hope that the noise is merely annoying, and not a danger sign.

Retina Macbook Pro strange fan noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.