Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

people can't hear me but i can hear them

My iPhone is about 18 months old, so not elible for warranty etc. It has started playing up for the following reason -

people call me and we can have a normal conversation and then all of a sudden they can't hear me? They say stuff like 'hellooo hello are you there?' etc, but can't hear me even though I can hear them. I have full reception when this happens.

other times its straight away when I answer it and they caller just can't hear me at all

I have used skype and it seems to work for it the whole time but I'm not sure as it wasn't as long of a call...

I am with optus and have been to them, tehy replaced my sim but that hasn't fixed it either.

anyone else had this happen?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2012 11:31 PM

i have the excact same problem,

i have tried resetting all settings,

restore to default,

upgraded my ios,

repositoned the sim,

tried new sim,

tried new carrier,

hard reset....

ect

nothing works,

i would take it to the apple store but im on holiday to indonesia for 5 monts and there is no apple here,

can anyone help?????

5 replies

Sep 21, 2012 1:45 AM in response to strawberryjelly

I was really frustrated with this when I 1st purchased my I phone - but I have now figured out how to stop it!!

I searched lots of blogs on the internet and I couldn’t find anything that would make the problem stop! However after hearing that some applications stop the microphone on your phone working properly I figured it out. You need to close the applications correctly.

I figured out how to turn off my applications by fluke - My sister was showing me how to save my battery by turning off my apps & it ended up killing two birds with one stone!

On the menu screen double click the main menu button. A bar will appear at the bottom of your screen with icons of all the applications you have open & running. On the screen hold your finger over one of the application icons until it starts to jiggle & the small red delete symbol (looks like no entry sign) appears to the top left of the icon symbol. Now cancel off all the applications you have running by tapping on the red symbol.

I have tried & tested this too. When people havn’t been able to hear me when I called them - I ended the call - turned off all my applications - called them back again & they could hear me!

I think it may be my app games which I download that might be the problem - Not safari - nor my address book - but I cancel them all off just to be sure anyway!

I hope this helps!

Oct 19, 2013 5:34 AM in response to strawberryjelly

This is really annoying me i am having the same problem and it has only started since updating my iphone4 to ios7. i am a massive apple fan but the latest ios7 hasnt impressed me. firstly my battery life is dreadful now even after switching lots of the functions off, my phone runs really slow opening apps and just for general use, apps keep crashing and shutting down which is especially annoying when playing games and now when i call out most of the time peole cant hear me. sometimes it works but mostly not. this seems like a sneeky ploy for apple to get people to splash out and buy the latest iphone. its not fair especially as buying my iphone4 near broke the bank a few years ago.

people can't hear me but i can hear them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.