Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migration assistant

Trying to migrate from an older Macbook Pro to Retina Pro using Migration assistant.

The software crashes every time. Anyone know what problems may be?

MBA, Mac OS X (10.6.6), MBP Ipad iPhone

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 1:36 AM

8 replies

Jul 30, 2012 1:59 AM in response to Catsman

Hmm - OK, so it looks as if MA isn't going to be an option. I've no idea why you're crashing - how are they connected (yeah, I know it can't be Firewire)?

If it's a connection issue (or if you're trying it over wifi) is there any chance that you could purchase the Thunderbolt>Ethernet adapter for your MBP-R and connect them both to the same router?

Other than that, the only thing I can think to do is to use Time Machine to make a backup of your old drive and use it to restore to your new drive. Do you have an external that you could use to accomplish this?

I'm a bit baffled...

Clinton

Jul 30, 2012 2:28 AM in response to Catsman

I used Time Machine restore when I got my late 2011 MBP in March from a Snow Leopard 2006 model. The only problem I ran into was with Microsoft Office 2011 - I had to re-enter my activation code.

If you have a TM backup, you could always give it a try. It worked for me the only time I tried it.

Have you tried plugging the Ethernet Adapter equipped MBPR into a router with the older machine connected to the same router, instead of going port to port?

I'm hoping that someone brighter than myself will jump in here...

Clinton

Jul 30, 2012 4:11 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

"Have you tried plugging the Ethernet Adapter equipped MBPR into a router with the older machine connected to the same router, instead of going port to port?"

You read my mind. I have done this after a total erase of HD and installation of "Mountain Lion". All seems to be working. Crossed fingers. I won't know the result until tomorrow morning.

Thanks a lot for your help and concern.

migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.