Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LACie 2big thunderbolt problem: unmount/mount

After upgrading to ML and putting my iMac to sleep I get error message from lacie thunderbolt 2big hard disk when activating iMac again that hard disk is not correctly unmounted (I did not stop it, just sending imac to sleep).

After that I cannot mount the 2big lacie. Only method for mounting it is to remove thunderbolt cable.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 1:41 AM

17 replies

Aug 29, 2012 8:31 AM in response to HansMestrum

So, I am "chatting" with LaCie at the moment about the same issue. It seems that when my Mac goes to sleep it unmounts the 2Big. This also happened with my other LaCie product - thus my purchase to a bigger device. Now I have an error in the disk utility that is really bothering me. It states that my first RAID slice has failed. NICE!

Leading me to ask two questions:

1. Is this a Mountain Lion issue? This did not happen with previous OS.

2. Is there a way to keep the disk from unmounting when iMac goes to sleep?

Thanks.

User uploaded file

Dec 11, 2012 10:54 AM in response to HansMestrum

Any resolution on this?, I just got a LaCie Thunderbolt drive and have all my VMWare Fusion virtual machines on it, in the morning Windows has crashed because the drive went away and didn't come back from sleep. Cycling power with the blue switch doesn't work, I have to physically remove and replug the Thunderbolt cable to get it back.

I'm temporarily disabling sleep but thats not a great solution. Using 2011 iMac and 10.8.2

Jan 21, 2013 10:05 PM in response to dandig

I've a couple of LaCie Thunderbolt 2Big drives connected to my MacBook Pro... when the Mac sleeps, the TB LaCie drives sleep. Never had a problem getting them to awaken when I wake up my MBP with Thunderbolt Display. No problem with FW800 drives connected to same display, either.

It may be a cable issue? I would try another TB cable and see if that helps.

Clinton

Apr 10, 2013 7:40 AM in response to HansMestrum

This may be related to this thread.

Problems like this seem to be pervasive across drive types, different attachment types etc.

Further it also seems that for any one user it doesn't affect all drives, just some combination of drive and attachment.

For me, it is only one drive and only when attached via eSATA, it if fine when attached via FW800. The other eSATA attached drive is fine.

For others it is USB 3, FW, etc attachment and only a specific drive.

It is not new in Ml, though for some something in ML "awakens" this issue.

Feb 27, 2014 1:00 PM in response to HansMestrum

I was having a similar issue and seem to have tracked it down to conflicting remnants of MacFUSE, OSXFUSE, and prlufs.fs (Parallels 8 FS Component that has its own FUSE component) in /Library/Filesystems. Once I removed any trace of MacFUSE and OSXFUSE my Thunderbolt drive stopped spontaneously unmounting/mounting.

Do you have any of these Filesystems plugins?

Mar 8, 2014 6:42 PM in response to Chris Connors

No. This problem exists with absolutely clean installs.

For the record, my drive does not spontaneously eject. The problem is sleep. The LaCie interface essentially pulls the plug on the drive when going to sleep.

However, there was a goo workaround for the issue if I just selected "Put hard disks to sleep when possible"...that is, up until the 10.9.2 update. Now any drive I have attached to the LaCie Thunderbolt-eSata adapter gives an error that it's been ejected improperly upon wake

Even if I eject the volume, then sleep, I still get the "ejected improperly" error when I wake the machine, which I find particularly odd. The only thing I can do is eject the volume, then power it down.

I thought I had another workaround. There's an app called Jettison that kind of works. It's an ugly solution to have to purchase an app, but Jettison ejects all volumes before sleeping, then remounts them upon wake. Seems like the operating system could do this, too. The problem with Jettison is that it continually asks me to re-authenticate with my Apple ID, which is kind of a deal breaker, because it doesn't launch whenever I switch users, asking for my authentication every time.

Technically, I suppose this si LaCie's design flaw, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.....WILL YOU PEOPLE AT APPLE FIX THIS!!!!!!

LACie 2big thunderbolt problem: unmount/mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.