Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Saver picture location in Mountain Lion?

I was just looking at the Screen Saver tab in System Preferences. And found that photos from the "National Geographic" and "Aerial" sources are excellent photos and I want to choose the once I like to make a customised screen saver slideshow. Does anyone know how to access to those photos in Mountain Lion? I've tried /System/Library/Screen Saver and they are just screen savers but not the photos themselves.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 12:18 AM

8 replies

Jul 30, 2012 6:20 AM in response to Dayday95

You are on the right tack looking where you said, but the pictures are hidden inside a "Package". To see the contents, right-click and select "Show Package Contents". That will open the package in a new window. Set it to Folder view and you will find the pictures inside there somewhere.

National Geographic pictures seem to be coming from the internet, but once they are downloaded they stay in a cache somewhere in your userfolder, don't know where.

There are also some nice desktop pictures at:

/Library/Desktop\Pictures

Jul 30, 2012 6:24 AM in response to Gnarlodious

Thanks for the advice, I tried opening the package content of screen savers in the /System/Libary/Screen Saver but since none of the screen saver bares the name "National Geographic" it's definitely not there. And I think something like screen saver pictures should more likely be in the system or disk library folder. Still thanks for the help : )

Aug 27, 2012 2:39 PM in response to Dayday95

I went to that website and it does not work? I have Mountain Lion on a 2011 Macbook Pro. My library folder was hidden so I looked up how to "unhide" it and now I can access my library. I followed all those instructions i.s "Macintosh HD > System > Library > Frameworks > Screensaver.framework > Versions > A > Resources > Default Collections" BUT, I do not have a "Frameworks Folder" or anything after that step for that matter. I have a "Screen Saver" folder but it is empty? Any suggestions guys??!

Sep 29, 2012 5:33 AM in response to agacom24

That's cos you were looking in the wrong library.

You didn't follow the path given in the post I linked to, which has nothing to do with the user library. It is also exactly the same as the one in the osxdaily post (a post which appeared some 5 weeks after I first blogged this solution...😉 ).

In any case, both links tell you exactly the same thing.

Screen Saver picture location in Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.