Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th Gen iPod / Lion...ML / sync Contacts / How???

Hello, I have a 5th generation, click wheel, iPod, now with a 150 GB HD. With the advent of iCloud, Lion, Mountain Lion, etc., I find that I cannot, or have yet to find the way to, synchronize Contacts. Attempts through iTunes results in the following message: No contacts available Contact syncing cannot be enabled because there are no contacts available. Do you want to open Contacts and create contacts now?

Indeed, Contacts has contacts, both in iCloud and All On My Mac. Choosing either account as the default account does not to resolve my sync issue. I've no iSync that functions under Lion / Mountain Lion. Although another poster alluded to being abale to sync to an iPod directly from the Mac OS Contact app, I've not discovered how this is possible.

Obvious;y, I'm here looking for a solution. Thanks...

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, 3.2 GHz Quad Xeon w/6 GB RAM; PLUS

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 6:47 AM

Several users running Mac OS X Lion and now ML (and iCloud) have no longer been able to "sync" contacts over to their older iPods models.

A work around is to export all of your contacts out of Address Book as vCards and them copy these vCards into your iPod's Contacts folder. You'll need to have the Enable Disk Use option ticked from under the iPod's Summary tab in order to browse out to the iPod's Contacts folder via the Finder.

Using your iPod as a storage drive

That's the only "solution" I have been able to use to get contacts to sync/appear on my 5G iPod Video.

B-rock

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2012 6:47 AM in response to Brian Williams2

Several users running Mac OS X Lion and now ML (and iCloud) have no longer been able to "sync" contacts over to their older iPods models.

A work around is to export all of your contacts out of Address Book as vCards and them copy these vCards into your iPod's Contacts folder. You'll need to have the Enable Disk Use option ticked from under the iPod's Summary tab in order to browse out to the iPod's Contacts folder via the Finder.

Using your iPod as a storage drive

That's the only "solution" I have been able to use to get contacts to sync/appear on my 5G iPod Video.

B-rock

Jul 31, 2012 4:52 AM in response to planb77

Thank you, B-rock. Using your tip, I found that I could, in OS X Contacts, select all of the contacts that I wanted to have on my iPod, export to a single VCF, then copy it to the iPod, as you described. Now, I'll make an iPod group in Contacts and manage it that way. Even if iTunes would have managed it, I still would have required the sub-set of all my contacts, so the solution that you have identified is not onerous.

5th Gen iPod / Lion...ML / sync Contacts / How???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.