Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Harman Kardon iSub no longer supported. Any compatible sub-woofers around?

Ah, pangs of new technology! If you're shopping for any third party device, make absolutely sure it will be supported by the Intel Core Duo. While the sound is solid from the internal speakers, I still would like a sub-woofer. None of the ads I've looked at specify Core Duo compatibility. Luckily, I'm holding on to my old iMac and Powerbook, which gleefully recognize my iSub.

intel iMac CoreDuo (20"), Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 23, 2006 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2006 6:48 PM

Try the JBL Creature II. It sounds great ( JBL is a Harman company also, by the way) and it just looks terrific with an iMac!

Connects easily with a mini strereo jack...

Here's the LINK.
16 replies

Mar 23, 2006 8:01 PM in response to Joe784

Have you considered getting 2.1 speaker setup that you use instead of the internal speakers? You'll get a far better sound.
Look for ones that connect via mini-jack (that's basically 99.99% of all computer speakers), and they'll work without any need for software support.
In particular, the Hardmon Kardon SoundsSticks II look and sound great.

Mar 24, 2006 7:44 PM in response to Joe784

I'll second the JBL Creature II's. I just picked up a white set from Amazon.com ($61!) and set them up tonight. I'm very impressed (although it took a bit of tinkering to balance out the bass and the treble).

After coming from the Apple Pro speakers with my previous iMac to the built in speakers on this iMac, I was a wee bit disappointed. Now I'm quite happy again!

Apr 1, 2006 9:37 AM in response to David Yellen

I wouldn't give up on the iSub yet. It still works
on the PPC version of 10.4.5, so it would seem it's
just an oversight in the Intel OS. Call Applecare
and have them open a case. We need more people to
bring it to their attention and they will fix it in a
future OS update.

Just bought an Intel iMac Core Duo 1.83GHz and found out my iSub isn't supported with OSX (Intel). Man, I'm very disappointed.. the iSub has been with me since the OS9 days and it worked with all my PowerPC Macs.

anyway, I wouldn't give up my iSub either, let's bring some attention to Apple by filling up the feedback form and file a bug-report AND keep our fingers cross.

feedback link:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

bugreport link:
http://bugreport.apple.com/

Apple, please please please help us.

Apr 26, 2006 12:07 PM in response to Joe784

I have found a way to make our iSub work again on Intel Macs.
But this can't be done using only the iSub with the internal speakers or the computer's audio line out port.

If you use the iSub together with an external USB soundcard, and select the USB soundcard as the sound output, then the iSub volume control will show up and our lovely iSub will come alive again with the USB sound device attached.
low freq. sound will come out from the iSub and high freq. sounds will come out from the USB sound card's line output.

so you'll need the following:
1) USB sound output device (eg. iMic)
2) a pair of speaker connected to the USB sound output device's line out.

this is what I use:

1) Comodow USB 3D Sound Controller (PCC-PD552) - http://128star.com/catalog/images/PCC-PD552-GALLERY.gif

2) Creatve SBS Vivid 60 Speaker - http://images.creative.com/iss/images/products/headers/prod11425hdr_1_61.jpg

3) karman/kardon iSub USB (standalone version).

-
again, hope Apple will fix this issue in the next 10.4.7 so we don't have to use our iSub with an external output device.

Good Luck Everyone!

----
Lok

Jun 5, 2006 9:39 PM in response to Joe784

Here's the official response from Apple, looks like we're out of luck when it comes to iSub support:

This is a courtesy email regarding Bug ID# 4565317. This bug report has been updated by engineering and requires your attention:

<GMT05-Jun-2006 18:45:01GMT> Vanaja Pasumarthi:
Engineering has provided the following feedback regarding this issue:

Please note that iSub will work in conjunction with another USB Audio device but is no longer supported with built in audio on Macs that have Intel processors.

Bug reports requiring your attention will appear in red under ‘My Originated Problems’. Please review this bug report and provide the requested information via the Bug Reporter. Once your report has been updated, engineering will be alerted to the new information, and the report will no longer appear in red.

<http://bugreport.apple.com>

Thank you for your assistance in helping us discover and isolate bugs within our products.

Best Regards,

The Bug Reporting Team
Apple Developer Connection

Jun 14, 2006 1:04 PM in response to Joe784

I am having the same problems and wondered if there has been any success sorting it out anywhere. I am using Harman Kardon speakers (the first version). The sub has a blue light on and I am getting alert sounds through the internal speakers. It's driving me mad. Looked at Harman's website and all the obviou solutions have been given. I have re-set PRAM, checked in sound preferences, and tried different USB port. Nothing is working. Please someone help. I got an update today from Harman Kardon saying "If the problem has appeared since the Mac start up issue it looks like the software for the Soundsticks has been corrupted. If this is the case then that will be the end to using the Soundstick I. Apple no longer supports the software that controls the Soundsticks." I don't have the isub though. I have the subwoofer

Know if this is right? If so can I get the software back somehow?

Jun 14, 2006 4:32 PM in response to sphinxx

I have had Soundsticks I on five different macs and 4 versions of OSX and never had to install any software.

Every time I have updated my computers or Operating System I have simply plugged them in and they appear in Sound Preferences, select them and I am all set. So, I don't understand the discussion of missing software.

About the second issue of having the system sounds coming through the wrong speakers; I don't remember about 10.3 but I know in Tiger you can select which speakers you want the system sounds to come through from System Preferences > Sound Preferences.

Intel 20" iMac + MacBook 2.0 Mac OS X (10.4.6) 2 GB RAM

Jul 15, 2006 6:59 AM in response to AlanBDahl

Hi all,

I'm new here. Love Macs. Love Apple. Always have. Always will.

But they are starting to tick me off a little.

There is absolutley NO reason that they should quit supporting the iSub!

What they basically are telling us is that if you upgrade your computer every 5 or so years (even sooner for most that can afford it) that you have to upgrade EVERYTHING ELSE that you've accumulated over the years?!?!

That's freakin' ridiculous!

I've still got a JVC stereo system that I bought back in 1988 that has been compatible with EVERY TV, DVD, VCR and whatever else I want to hook it up too! And it would be compatible with a Flat Screen HD TV if I so desired to go and buy one today. :-\

But Apple decides to quit supporting devices after 5 years?!

Give me a break. How long could it take to write a driver for a freakin' sub woofer?

-iTodd Video

Intel MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Jul 15, 2006 10:32 AM in response to iTodd Video

And so your purpose to post was not to add anything constructive to the Discussion, but to vent about your disappointment with Apple? That isn't what the Discussions are about and not a good way to begin your relationship here. Perhaps you should go back and re-read the Terms of Use to which you agreed but didn't read when you opened your Discussions account. This is a user to user technical support forum, first and foremost.

Harman Kardon iSub no longer supported. Any compatible sub-woofers around?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.