13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2015 3:40 PM by dusty1912
Michael Sullivan Level 1 Level 1

In our family we have two iPhone 4 phones.

We have text messaging turned off by Verizon.

We have usually been able to send SMS messages via iMessage to fellow iPhone users.

All of a sudden my wife cannot text me.

If she tries to text our son who also has an iPhone on a different plan, it will show up in blue as an iMessage and she can send him one.  But when she tried to text me it shows up as green and a standard text message, which off course won't send, since SMS is disabled.

If I try and send one to her, it goes out as a blue iMessage but never makes it to her.

So our two iPhones are not recognizing that iMessage is capable between them. 

I have restarted her iPhone and of course iMessaging is enabled in Settings.

Any ideas?

iPhone cases:

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=luv2globetrot-20&linkCode=ur 2&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=iphone%20case&url=search-alias%3Daps

• razmee209 Level 7 Level 7

troubleshooting message http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755

• Michael Sullivan Level 1 Level 1

Thanks for the response, but it doesn't address this issue.  In fact I saw this link prior to posting the problem.  I think the issue that only one particular recipient is being improperly displayed as non iMessage eligible makes this an unusual case.
    The only suggestion is power off which I made sure I mentioned in the post I did.

• lega12 Level 1 Level 1

had the similar issue. it drove me insane. i could send imessages to only a few people while the rest were sent via sms even though they were registered with imessage. could not figure it out for months. then i finally figured it out. go to settings > messages > send & receive > here you need to make sure both the phone number & apple id are selected. I only had my phone number selected which i believe caused the problem. Now that both the phone number and apple id are selected it works perfectly.

• JSquaredM Level 1 Level 1

I'm currently having the same issue. My brother's iPhone is not being recognized as iMessage compatible. I've deleted his contact info, and re-inputted it, quadruple checked all my Message settings etc. No solution.

Very annoying...

(ps. None of my iOS or OSX devices recognizes his iPhone as iMessage compatible)

• MaikelTunnissen Level 1 Level 1

Turning off and turning it back on again did the trick for me,

most of the time this isn't needed for an apple product but this time it seems it had to be done.

• TomBradyMVP Level 1 Level 1

Thanks this worked for me I did the same thing one night when iMessage wasn't working I must have unchecked one of them. But it works fine now lol it was driving me insane.

• lizzeroo2 Level 1 Level 1

This worked for me.

• briankirchoff Level 1 Level 1

One more word on this - I was frustrated by this too as I tried to set up a new phone on our family plan from my iMac.  Kept getting the new phone displayed as red then the usual "not registered with imessage" even though I knew it was and was set up properly.  Since none of this made sense, I texted myself from the new phone with imessage open on my Mac.  iMessage received the message from the new phone and I was able to respond to that new number that gave me so much trouble setting up. 

So simply text yourself from the new phone and see if iMessage doesn't work just fine now.  Stupidly frustrating. I spent a couple hours trying to figure this out. 

Good luck all!

• chicpeas Level 1 Level 1

Thank you lega12!  It was driving me crazy and your suggestion worked

• y.sun Level 1 Level 1

legal12 to the rescue. Saved me... Thank you, legal12!

• about that Level 1 Level 1

I just got a 5s and moved my contacts over from my "dumbphone" and some of my friends with iphones were showing up as imessage and some were not. after much playing around i found if i connected to them with facetime it then recognized them as iphone users. in one case my friend had to facetime me and then me him for it to work completely.

not sure if that helps anyone but it worked for me.

Good luck!

• Wgriffin Level 1 Level 1

I am having the same problem as Michael Sullivan - my iPhone is not recognizing my son's phone as an iPhone.  It is recognizing all my other contacts' iPhones. Was there ever a satisfactory resolution posted for this problem???

• dusty1912 Level 1 Level 1

THANK YOU!!!! from the bottom of my heart, granted 3 years later Iphone 6 and the only modification I did in Message I turned on the iMessage icon it asked me for ID etc and it finally worked. This after 3 months of frustration btw my Macs and Ipads