Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The backup disk image “/Volumes/Data/Lucio Bernal’s iMac.sparsebundle” is already in use.

I am getting this message when Timemachine tries to back up.

The backup disk image “/Volumes/Data/Lucio Bernal’s iMac.sparsebundle” is already in use.

Does it have something to do with Moutain Lion that I just installed?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 7:36 AM

12 replies

Aug 6, 2012 3:49 AM in response to LucioB

This will fix your problems:

Launch Airport Utility and select the TC "Edit" button, then select the Disks tab. Deselect "Enable File Sharing" and click "Update". The TC will reboot then follow the same procedure and reselect "Enable File Sharing" and click "Update". After TC reboots again you'll be up and running. Not the neatest way to do it but saves having to unplug the TC which risks disk damage and the whole procedure takes less than a minute.

I don't take credit for this fix but found it here:http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/45569/disconnecting-disks-from-airport- extreme

Aug 6, 2012 7:41 AM in response to Pondini

I'm on Mountain Lion and have version 6.1 of AirPort utility so there is no button to "Disconnect All Users" (as you point out on your site) and the only other option of "removing and re-selecting the drive via Time Machine Prefs" didn't work either, so I posted this here because in the end this was the only way I could get TC to work again. The "Enable File Sharing" button seems to have replaced the "Disconnect All Users" button but with the slight disadvantage that it reboots the TC which takes up additional time but at the end of the day this surely has to be better than simply pulling the plug!!

I'm more curious as to how I ended up with this problem in the first place, all I'd done was a reboot!!

Aug 6, 2012 7:58 AM in response to finepiks

finepiks wrote:

I'm on Mountain Lion

Ah, yes, that's a complication. 😟

It's a bit of a hassle, but you can download Airport Utility 5.6, then use the Pacifist app to extract it. (We keep hoping Apple will either put the missing options back in 6.0, or allow 5.6 to be installed on Mountain Lion.)

I'm more curious as to how I ended up with this problem in the first place, all I'd done was a reboot!!

There does seem to be more of this with Mountain Lion, but it's unclear what's causing it. Often it's using the Time Machine browser (the "Star Wars" display), and the sparse bundle doesn't get unmounted when done; or other apps, such as WD Smartware, may open or lock it.

Aug 6, 2012 8:05 AM in response to Pondini

I hadn't used the "Star Wars" display at all and this just happened totally out of the blue, but then nothing surprises me at the moment with ML. I've had so much hassle with this upgrade including the "white screen and progress bar of death" that I wish I'd waited for 10.8.1!! Still, after doing all the usual PRAM and SMC resets, then deleting and creating new user accounts and finally re-installing ML things seem to be working much better on my early 2011 MBP with 8gb RAM!!!!!

Anyway, I must offer you my highest respects - pondini.org has been an absolute lifesaver for me in the past so many thanks for the efforts you put into it 🙂

Oct 11, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Pondini

Pondini, Thank you for your post here. C12 worked. I am using Mountain Lion and had my kids laptops backing up to my Time Capsule. I have My message that "the sparsebundle is already in use" first appeared after the OS upgrade, from Lion to Mountain Lion. I am using Airport Utility 6.1. As you suggested, I changed the password for the Wireless connection to Time Capsule (I couldn't eject TC from Finder). I then checked the laptops to make certain they had lost the signal and therefore weren't connected to TC. Next I unplugged TC, waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Then I went to my computer, clicked the Retry Backing Up with a right click to the TC icon on my Menu Bar....and away it went, backing up with no error messages. Sure beats dragging my MacPro and TC to the Genius Bar!

Mar 8, 2013 2:51 PM in response to finepiks

had the same problem and this fixed it, thanks!

finepiks wrote:

This will fix your problems:

Launch Airport Utility and select the TC "Edit" button, then select the Disks tab. Deselect "Enable File Sharing" and click "Update". The TC will reboot then follow the same procedure and reselect "Enable File Sharing" and click "Update". After TC reboots again you'll be up and running. Not the neatest way to do it but saves having to unplug the TC which risks disk damage and the whole procedure takes less than a minute.

I don't take credit for this fix but found it here:http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/45569/disconnecting-disks-from-airport- extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.