Skip navigation

Can't login after Mountain Lion upgrade (Network accounts are unavailable)

7556 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 8:54 AM by g_pirtle RSS
Anonymoe Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 30, 2012 7:28 AM

I performed a Mountain Lion upgrade on a 2011 MBP running Lion this weekend. The Mac may have been set up to connect to an AD server with my user account, but I thought I had disabled that months ago... aparently not. I performed the upgrade at home not on the corporate network.

On first bootup after the Mountain Lion upgrade I'm stuck at the login screen unable to login with my local account or the admin account. I get the "red dot" next to the username field with the "Network accounts are unavailable" pop up. I'm plugged in to the ethernet network at work now... no luck.

I tried booting into the repair disk and repairing disk permissions. Still no luck.

Any ideas? I'd happily do a fresh install but I need to get a handful of files off the machine first.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion
  • g_pirtle Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)

Your local accounts should work whether you are on a network or not.

I'm going to ask some basic questions (just skip over if you have already tried it).

Have you tried using the shortname for your user accounts?

Was your network account setup to be a mobile account? (stored offline cache on the MBP)

Try:

Boot MBP with ethernet cable plugged up and give the login screen ample time to connect before typing in network username and password. Sometimes it can be slow to show network accounts available.

We use Active Directory integrated Macs so feel free to ask any questions.

If at any time you want to abandon troubleshooting, you can always copy the files you want to keep from /Volume/Macintosh HD/... to /Volume/USBKeyName/... using Terminal from the Recovery Partition.

Copy command syntax - http://ss64.com/osx/cp.html

Ex. cp -R "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/username/Documents/" "/Volumes/USBKeyName/Documents"

-R to copy entire directory contents

I did not experience this issue on either of my Macs upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion (that were bound to AD), but I am still looking into it.

Try resetting the password for your local account.

Boot into Recovery Partition.

Open Terminal.

Type resetpassword

Select your hard drive

Select the user account

Enter a new password for the user

Reenter password

Save

No problem. Glad I could help.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.