Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access the Applications folder

I sometimes can't access the Applications folder from the Finder sidebar.

The Applications folder is also faded out in 'Macintosh HD'.

The only way I can access it is by using the Cmd+Shift+A shortcut or by going into the 'Go' tab in Finder.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, mid-2011, quad-core i5 2.5Ghz, 16GB

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 4:03 PM

Launch Disk Utility, repair permissions, restart, and try again.

33 replies

Aug 25, 2012 6:23 PM in response to Alex Hutu

But you can't open it when double-clicking on the folder when looking at the boot volume window. Then, create the new admin user account log into ti, and see if you can do it there. If so, then post a list of the plist files in the hidden /Library/Preferences/ folder for that user. One or more of those are corrupt and conflicting with others.

Aug 25, 2012 11:02 PM in response to Alex Hutu

I had the problem for a good long while. I traced my situation to I had copied a good number of apps into applications and finder had decided to crash at that time. So basically the folder was expecting the rest of the files. I redid the copy from a backup and it went through at behold the applications folder was ready willing and able to do what I wanted. Not sure if you're having the same problem. Good luck either way

Can't access the Applications folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.