Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I reset my search engine to Wikipedia? I don't want any of those default Search Engines anymore they are too intrusive. And I can not Empty Cache any more and Google has taken over the address bar?

Can someone please explain how this now works? And am I obligated to load Mountain Lion. It's a very expensive price to pay for online privacy that isn't even Private anymore. I am old enough that I don't have to pay ransome. I can just quit.

I didn't say and was never asked If I wanted Mountain Lion. I can no longer 'Empty Cache' at the end of a session online and when I do a search now (and this has all changed overnight) the query is typed into what used to be the address bar and when the search results appear, after reading the first result and I want to read the second or fifth or Any of the other results of the query I am forced to resubmit the search in the address bar because the 'Page Back' button has been removed and the Little Red Dot closes the Search Results Page altogether.

What else am I in for with Mountain Lion? I already know that I do NOT want anything to do with iCloud. I am willing to bet a lot of money that a pharmaceutical company one day is going to be holding me for ransome with a new drug that was created out of the symptoms of a once - upon - a - time naturally occuring symptom of aging. At least I can turn my Macbook off and leave it that way and the world will not cease to exist. (Or will it?)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 8:55 AM

5 replies

Jul 30, 2012 6:57 PM in response to baltwo

Srry baltwo> am not as computer savy as you. With: "Restore your bootable backup/clone or Time Machine of your Lion installation and forego ML>" you are speaking Mandarin to a Canadian who does not parlez Mandarin. Can you try that in latman's terms please. Yes I do have an external HD that I use for backups It is not plugged in 24/7 but rather plugged in when I feel it needs backing up. "Restore my bootable backupclone or Time Machine"? That's Mandarin to me. Srry but thanks for the effort.

Jul 30, 2012 11:57 PM in response to davesnewlion

Computer operation 101.

Get a bootable, external HD (preferably FireWire, since it's 40-50% faster than USB 2 and designed for data transfers), make a bootable backup/clone before updating/upgrading, using something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!, and ensure that it's bootable and works like the original. That allows you to revert to the previous good state without having to reinstall or reset anything. See these for details:

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

http://www.macmaps.com/backup.html

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/installswupdates.html

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/backuprecovery.html

If you only have a Time Machine backup, ensure that you can reliably restore it to another disk/volume/partition before updating/upgrading.

Aug 4, 2012 11:20 AM in response to baltwo

I Do have an External hard drive. And my 2009 Macbook does not have FireWire. I still use it with USB to Backup with Time Machine.

Honestly, I am not very knowledgable of computers including the Apple devices I own.

What I plan is to bring my Macbook into an iWorld Store and have them do the work. It's no different from a car in that there are things I know how to do and things I haven't yet learnt.

I work in the industrail world building mines, refineries and extraction plants etc. I never have to touch a computer. If I can follow instuctions to set up Time Machine and have the Backups saved to my 1tb External HD I can do more myself but prefer to have a pro do it for me to avoid screwups.

I absolutely Will do a backup IF I install the Mountain Lion. That is a Strong 'IF' at the moment. I Am copying tour suggestions though for a little later in the day. I do have a life with comittments to arrend to.

Thanks Baltwo.

Can I reset my search engine to Wikipedia? I don't want any of those default Search Engines anymore they are too intrusive. And I can not Empty Cache any more and Google has taken over the address bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.