Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Name appears with a '1' after it

In the past, I've been using my old, plain iTools (and MobileMe) user name (without the @mac.com suffix) as Apple ID. Later, Apple required logging in with your complete e-mail address (now with the @mac.com or @me.com suffix). So I switched to using that for logging into any Apple services. But ever since that switch, my Apple Discussions (and now Apple Support Communities) name is displayed as Harro Jansz1 (with the '1' behind my name), possibly to distinguish this account from my previous, 'bare' account. I have already changed the name for that older account, but am not able to change my name for this one. Does that mean I can't get rid of the '1' behind my name? I hope not; I think it's annoying and unnecessary at this point.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion, Aperture 3.3.2

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 9:48 AM

5 replies

Jul 30, 2012 11:51 PM in response to Harro Jansz1

In fact Harro Jansz has been a member for ten years according to the profile page (that sounds awfully early, perhaps it's a glitch). Perhaps it's you? You may have created an Apple ID when purchasing some hardware, and registered with the Forums, then forgotten about it. (A similar thing happened with me, which is why I'm Roger Wilmut1 - there is obviously a Roger Wilmut but of course it's me.)

If this is the case and you can remember - or retrieve - the password your easiest move would be to use that one. You have 5 points which you would lose, but Harro Jansz has 40 from older posts. Of course it might be your namesake, in which case you're stuck with the 1.

Jul 31, 2012 4:34 AM in response to J.K. ROFLing

Indeed there has been a Harro Jansz active here two year prior to when this account was created. But that other Harro Jansz is me as well. And while ten years may seem like a long time, remember that iTools was introduced in 2000. I was there from the beginning, but apparently only registered for an Apple ID for these discussion boards two years later. This account (with the 1 after my name) was only created because Apple later insisted an Apple ID username was your entire e-mail address. So yes, that other Harro Jansz is in fact me. Now, how do I claim back my name?

Jul 31, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks, Roger. But the thing is, I have no idea anymore what my password is for that older account. Even worse: when I enter my user name and supposed password, my user name appears to be wrong. Now what? I remember changing the e-mail address, password and maybe user name for my older account, but I can't – for the life of me – remember what I changed them into. Yeah, really smart. I know...

I guess I'll have to learn to live with my 1. It only appears after my name here in the Apple Support Communities. Elsewhere, even on other Apple pages and in Apple applications, my name is simply Harro Jansz, without the 1. Yeah, I think I can live with that.

Name appears with a '1' after it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.