Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying FCPX and want super slow mo. what plugin?

I'm a hobbiest. Just family movies but I'd like to do those super slow motion effects (1000 fps type thing). I'm happy to buy FCPX but adding Twixtor is excessive for my home movies!

Any suggestions on something that will work as well please - can FCPX do th effects itself?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.8 core i5 (Mid 2010) 12gb Ram

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 10:37 AM

12 replies

Jul 30, 2012 12:25 PM in response to IanDB

FCPX is great at slo mo without any plugins .. yes Twixtor is good but the faster your camera can shoot (fps) the better .. I use the re-timing setting and set video quality to Optical Flow. The results are stunning !

There are loads of Tutorial on YouTube but it is a cinch .. have a look at this one it is quite good ..

Jim

Jul 31, 2012 3:18 AM in response to IanDB

IanDB wrote:

Does Cinema Tools come with FCPX? ...

no need for Cinema Tools when FCPX is in use.

its ReTime feature does same,

see an example, shot with a 40$ Kodak Z1 60p

http://youtu.be/xG0p4XxsR3s

original is real-time, conform speed is 'Cinema Tools'-effect aka ReTime of FCPX, in a 25fps Project:

the final sequence is retimed/conformed + 10% speed = ~700fps-wannabe 😉

Optical Flow limits are noticeable: roation (watch the ball) is beyond OF's skills, and too high angular-speed: the foreground player wobbles, the ones in the background do not.

so, if you do work with a super short shutter speed (1/1000th), and 60p, keeping the picture stable (tripod) and action not close = Optical Flow is fine.

... as most demoes of Twixtor fullfill the same parameter.- plus, I was allowed to 'play' with it on some After Effects machine => far from intuitive! That seperation of bg/fg is promising and would avoid wobble, but I wasn't able to create what I want.- me stupid, wallet too small = I live with Optical flow!

😀

Jul 31, 2012 9:32 AM in response to somanna

somanna wrote:

… My Sony handy cam shoots only 1080i, and can I use this video for slow motion?

you can use any video for slowmo - but how does it look like? 😉

I gave up using interlaced quite a while ago - too many issues.

Never tried, just assumption: interlaced could cause 'jitter'.

or, any slowmo applied automatically deinterlaces first (as iMovie does) - never tested it.

or, you manually deinterlace first, JES Deinterlacer does a superb job, offering diff. options.-

just try and test and judge yourself - it has to please YOU! 😀

Jul 31, 2012 4:44 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hello Karsten,

Thanks for this info. I understood by your statement: 'any slowmo applied automatically deinterlaces first (as iMovie does) - never tested it.' that deinterlacing gets done automatically whenever slow motion is applied. If so, why should deinterlacing be done manually?

Yeah, I will try slowmo out whenever a need arises in my projects.

Buying FCPX and want super slow mo. what plugin?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.