Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G4 administrator password

After my iPad was stolen, a friend gave me a Powerbook G4 to use. However, she had received it from a friend of hers and cannot remember the administrator password. Is there a way to change that so i can update?

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 10:52 AM

4 replies

Jul 30, 2012 1:06 PM in response to lovesboxerdogs

Hopefully you or she have an install DVD/CD around. Put your install DVD into the optical drive (CD/DVD drive) and reboot. Be sure to either use the disc that came with your Mac, or, if you installed a later Mac OS X version from disc, use the newer disc. As soon as you hear the boot chime, hold down the "c" key on your keyboard (or the Option Key until the Install Disk shows up) until the apple shows up. That will force your MacBook to boot from the install DVD in the optical drive.

When it does start up, you'll see a panel asking you to choose your language. Choose your language and press the Return key on your keyboard once. It will then present you with an Installation window. Completely ignore this window and click on Utilities in the top menu and scroll down to Reset Password. After resetting the password use Startup Disk from the same menu to choose your hard drive for startup and restart.

Powerbook G4 administrator password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.