2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 1:17 PM by HenryS
HenryS Level 2 Level 2 (295 points)

Can I use an attached USB drive as a quasi-"Time Capsule" to backup several computers via TIme Machine?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2GB RAM, 500GB HD
  • 1. Re: WIll a USB connected drive on AEB work the same as Time Capsule?
    Bob Timmons Level 9 Level 9 (78,550 points)

If you are asking about connecting a drive or drives to the USB port on an AirPort Extreme and using Time Machine for backups, Apple does not officially support this, so you will be on your own if you decide to give it a try.

Some users do seem to be able to to make it work, but most of us who try this have data corruption problems initially, or at some point in the near future.

It would not be a good idea to make this your sole backup solution. Might be worth a try however, if you already have another primary backup plan in place.

• 2. Re: WIll a USB connected drive on AEB work the same as Time Capsule?
    HenryS Level 2 Level 2 (295 points)

Bob,

Bob Timmons wrote:

It would not be a good idea to make this your sole backup solution. Might be worth a try however, if you already have another primary backup plan in place.

I do have another plan in place. The problem I'm having with TM is that I'm getting errors now that I didn't have before switching to ML (Mountain Lion). If you're interested in those see my other thread...