Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

menu bar is freezing

since the Mountain lion update, my menu bar is freezing after few hours.

does anyone have the same problem? the mouse is changes to the death beach ball and you can not click on anything, the time is frozen too.

suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 3:23 PM

40 replies

Jul 31, 2012 5:52 AM in response to sumsumvaas

hi citrus101

I have unplugged the two external USB devices I had in, one a plantronics bluetooth dongle and the other the USB for a cinema screen. It seemed to solve the problem after a restart, I have now put back in the Cinema display USB and its ok so far but i may have to wait a few hours as it seems to occur after a few hours of use. I will also see if the Plantronics make any difference when plugged back in. Will report back. Never had any issues with the plantronics headsets or Cinema Displays with Lion .

Jul 31, 2012 6:03 AM in response to sumsumvaas

1. Open Activity Monitor.app (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.app)

2. Select ‘All Processes’ from the drop down menu next to the search bar (called ‘Filter:’) and type in ‘mds’.

3. Select the process name ‘mds‘ with user ‘root‘. Click the ‘Quit Process’ button at the top. You will be asked to supply your password.

Any improvement?

Jul 31, 2012 10:18 AM in response to softwater

In the activity monitor screen I try to quit. but nothing happened. I did try the forcing quit. again nothing happened. it didn't even ask for password.

only restarting the computer work.

i did try to open preferences and uncheck the time in the menu bar but it show that it is unchecked.... when it is!

check and uncheck doesnt do anything. the same with the wi-fi. same with Bluetooth. everything show that they are unchecked. when actually all of them are checked.

the only thing that is connected to the computer is Wacom tablet. that never did any problem.

I am puzzled and frustrated.

Aug 1, 2012 7:09 AM in response to sumsumvaas

sumsumvaas wrote:

i did try to open preferences and uncheck the time in the menu bar but it show that it is unchecked.... when it is!

check and uncheck doesnt do anything. the same with the wi-fi. same with Bluetooth. everything show that they are unchecked. when actually all of them are checked.

Well, this is a bit like taking a sledghammer to crack a walnut, but in your case I would try resetting all your User prefs to default by deleting the entire contents of this folder (do NOT delete the folder itself)

~/Library/Preferences

There are three (at least) Library folders; make sure you get the right on by doing it this way:

1. Click on the Finder face in the Dock.

2. Click on 'Go' in the menu bar at the top of the screen.

3. Hold down the 'option' key on your keyboard. You should see 'Library' in the Go menu. Click on it and release the 'option' key.

4. In the window that opens, go to the Preferences folder. Select everything inside it and hit 'command' and 'delete' on your keyboard.

5. Restart your mac.

After login, any improvement?

(Warning: since this resets all your user preferences back to default, you'll have to set up any changes you made previously such as Trackpad, Screensavers, Mouse, Security & Privacy etc etc.).

menu bar is freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.