Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving notification in Messages when App is Open

So far, it's only from one contact, but when they send me an iMessage, and the Messages program on my computer is OPEN but running in the background, I am receiving the message but NOT receiving a notification about it in the Notification Center. When the App is CLOSED, there ARE notifications of new messages from that contact.

Other info: The contact is texting to my Apple ID from their iPhone 4. Banner notifications are enabled on my computer for Messages. Also, the notifications were working correctly yesterday, but stopped functioning properly today.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, Messages not Syncing or Archiving

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 4:26 PM

5 replies

Jul 30, 2012 5:10 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Your response sort of makes sense, but is also kind of confusing. It is also not how the Messages App has been working for me over the past few days. I was having for the most part instant message conversations with a different contact yesterday, I received notifications for every message provided I was working in a different app at the time - Even when the conversation with that person was the top chat box. I guess your response just confuses me? Any chance you could clarify?

Jul 30, 2012 5:30 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Ok, I now get what you were saying, but that's not the problem with my messages. It's not notifying me when it SHOULD notify me. But it's actually now doing it for all of my contacts...Why am i not getting notified if I'm not working in the app? I get notified when I get E-mails with Mail running in the background...Something just doesn't make sense to me.

Not receiving notification in Messages when App is Open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.