Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme not working with Apple Messages or iChat video, audio, and screen sharing?

I have just recently purchased a new airport extreme (recently meaning within the last 3 months). It works great if I am watching movies on Netflix, or surfing the web, or uploading to my webserver. My problem is I often use the screen sharing and video chat through Apple Messages (previously I used iChat) and since I have setup my AEBS I haven't been able to use these features on iChat or Messages. I've searched Google and many forums trying to find an answer. I've tried the port mapping thing but all the tutorials I have seen don't exactly match up to the latest airport utility (I don't understand port mapping enough to translate to the new airport utility). I also read a couple of forum posts that said the latest iChat/Messages shouldn't require port mapping for video etc. I've also checked my Connection Doctor in messages and it says my computer's network setup is compatible with audio and video chatting and it has no limit set for the audio or video conferences. I also have turned off my iMac's Firewall. Is there something I am missing? Does the Airport Extreme Base Station require port mapping to work with iChat Video and Audio along with screen sharing? Also this is the same situation on my MacBook Pro as well.

I am currently running Mac OSX Mountain Lion with the new Apple Messages.

EDIT:

Also, I can send an video chat invite to a friend and they get it but it fails when trying to connect. When they send me an invite I never receive anything. However my iMac (or MacBook Pro) video camera's green light comes on.

Message was edited by: chris.muzzin

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 10:04 PM

There are no replies.

Airport extreme not working with Apple Messages or iChat video, audio, and screen sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.