Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i change default mail account on mountain lion 10.8 with mail 6.0?

As i wrote in the topic, i have 3 accounts. 2 gmails and icloud. Now, main account is icloud, and i want one of gmails to be. How can i do this? Thanks!

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 2:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 2:51 AM

In the Mail preferences "Composing"? the one with the paper and pen icon (I have German as system language, so I don't know how it's called in English).

There is a drop down menu where you can select the standard e-mail account for new mail.

I hope this helps.

7 replies

Sep 23, 2012 7:45 PM in response to dawideksl

I was having this problem too, and the solution given by Tian works, but I found another way to do it too. What if I still want it to automatically set the "from" address to the mailbox I have selected, but still want to change the default for when I just have the general "Inbox" selected?

>> From the main Mail inbox, just click and drag the name of your "default" mailbox to the top of the list, directly under the word "Inbox." Now it will effectively be your "default' as it will automatically be set as the "from" address if you are viewing the general inbox.

Sep 25, 2012 9:27 AM in response to JmaJeremy

Thanks! I had a slightly different issue, I needed my Send/Move lists to be a certain order and Mountain Lion reordered them to their own order. By moving the Inbox order, reordered the Send/Move list so that my servers are listed in the order I need them instead of the Apple order (iCloud, Gmail, Yahoo, IMAP). Once I reordered the Inbox order, it reset that list so my work folders are on top (since I have a ton of folders there), followed by my other email addresses.

How can i change default mail account on mountain lion 10.8 with mail 6.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.