12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 6:03 AM by HassanG
Thadeus1991 Level 1 Level 1

Hello fellow apple fans,

I downloaded Mountain Lion yesterday and was very pleased to find out that it is possible to upload several file types from several programms into the iCloud. But now I am concerned that this feature could turn out to be useless for me: e.g. the PDF-upload from Preview" - once I uploaded it I can't find it annywhere, neither on my iPhone nor on icloud.com. I can only access it when I open Preview and look for "documents saved in the cloud". Same problem with several types of files - I can't find anything that can't be opend by the iWork-suit if I don't use the same programm that I used to save it in the cloud.

Is this feature only meant to help people that own more than one Mac?

Thanks for your help

Thadeus1991

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion
Solved by William Lloyd on Aug 1, 2012 2:03 PM Solved

Currently Preview documents that are uploaded to iCloud can only be viewed on another Mac with Mountain Lion.  There is no iOS application to view them, and you can't see them via the iCloud web page either.

Reply by mende1 on Jul 31, 2012 4:42 AM Helpful

Welcome to Apple Communities

You can access using the same application in another device

Reply by Ivan Clarke1 on Jul 31, 2012 4:43 AM Helpful

do you have documents and data selected to the on position on your devices under icloud in the settings area?

All replies

• mende1 Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Welcome to Apple Communities

You can access using the same application in another device

• Ivan Clarke1 Level 2 Level 2

do you have documents and data selected to the on position on your devices under icloud in the settings area?

• Thadeus1991 Level 1 Level 1

I know - that is why I haven't got problems to open pages-documents (I can see them on icloud.com or open them by pages on my iPhone). But how can I open a PDF-document? I use "Preview" to save it in the Cloud from my Mac but I don't have Preview on my iPhone...

• William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7

Currently Preview documents that are uploaded to iCloud can only be viewed on another Mac with Mountain Lion.  There is no iOS application to view them, and you can't see them via the iCloud web page either.

• 4n6doc Level 4 Level 4

Unfortunately, you're right. You can open iCloud documents on multiple devices, but only if they have the exact same software. If you save documents on Preview or TextEdit on your Mac, you can't open them on your iPad or iPhone because there is no equivalent software.

I use Goodreader to read documents on my iPad and iPhone, and there is a workaround that I learned about on a popular Apple fan site that allows me to access my Goodreader iCloud files on my Mac (they are stored there even though there's no direct way to access them).  Hopefully, Apple will address this issue and make such workarounds unnecessary.

To be clear though you do not need preview to view a PDF or text document on an iPhone or iPad. They just open.

• 4n6doc Level 4 Level 4

While true, that wasn't the point of the original post. The point was that there is no way to access certain files that are saved in the cloud. This defeats the whole concept of cloud storage which is that your files are available to you anywhere.

Oh but there is.... Pdfpen does just this.....

• 4n6doc Level 4 Level 4

You still don't seem to have read or understood the original post, so let me try again. His issue is that when he saves a document to iCloud in the Preview app on his Mac, he can't open it on his iDevice. Cloud documents saved in certain Mac programs (TextEdit, Preview) cannot be accessed on an iPad or iPhone.

No actually I think it is you that has misunderstood.

He specifically says several file types, several applications. Eg preview app..

Providing him with info on an app that can do it is an excellent contribution. He then has some options. wasting everyone's time by picking me up on it does not constitute an excellent contribution.

I hope that this is clear for you now.

• Dick Harden Level 1 Level 1

I Have the same problem. It is ridiculous that it is easier to open a windows file from iCloud but you cant acces a pdf moved from preview. This is ********. I use my iPad to study.

• HassanG Level 1 Level 1

While you are on icloud.com you can go to https://developer.icloud.com/ and click on documents, you'll be able to download any documents you saved to your icloud account even if you are not a registered developer