Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I access files that are saved in the iCloud?

Hello fellow apple fans,

I downloaded Mountain Lion yesterday and was very pleased to find out that it is possible to upload several file types from several programms into the iCloud. But now I am concerned that this feature could turn out to be useless for me: e.g. the PDF-upload from Preview" - once I uploaded it I can't find it annywhere, neither on my iPhone nor on icloud.com. I can only access it when I open Preview and look for "documents saved in the cloud". Same problem with several types of files - I can't find anything that can't be opend by the iWork-suit if I don't use the same programm that I used to save it in the cloud.

Is this feature only meant to help people that own more than one Mac?

Thanks for your help

Thadeus1991

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 4:42 AM

Welcome to Apple Communities

You can access using the same application in another device

12 replies

Aug 1, 2012 2:15 PM in response to Thadeus1991

Unfortunately, you're right. You can open iCloud documents on multiple devices, but only if they have the exact same software. If you save documents on Preview or TextEdit on your Mac, you can't open them on your iPad or iPhone because there is no equivalent software.

I use Goodreader to read documents on my iPad and iPhone, and there is a workaround that I learned about on a popular Apple fan site that allows me to access my Goodreader iCloud files on my Mac (they are stored there even though there's no direct way to access them). Hopefully, Apple will address this issue and make such workarounds unnecessary.

Aug 2, 2012 3:40 AM in response to 4n6doc

No actually I think it is you that has misunderstood.

He specifically says several file types, several applications. Eg preview app..

Providing him with info on an app that can do it is an excellent contribution. He then has some options. wasting everyone's time by picking me up on it does not constitute an excellent contribution.

I hope that this is clear for you now.

How can I access files that are saved in the iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.