Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't build 10.7.4 netboot image with 10.8 system image utility?

Just installed 10.8 and 10.8 server on my MBP. Now want create a 10.7.x netboot image using System Image Utility.

-- on a different laptop, built a vanilla 10.7 install, then ran 10.7 combined updater to bring install up to 10.7.4

-- restart this laptop in Target Disk Mode and attach to 10.8 laptop - mounts HD on 10.8 desktop as expected

-- fire up 10.8 System Image Utility on 10.8 laptop

SIU does not see the mounted vanilla 10.7.4 hard drive as a valid source volume. Cannot drag volume into SIU window.

Can I only build a 10.8 netboot image with 10.8 SIU?

Thanks in advance for you assistance!

Jeff Elliott

Tech Support Staff

Hempfield School District

OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 5:52 AM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2012 11:35 AM in response to hempfieldtech

OK, I've forged ahead and successfully built a Mountain Lion (10.8) netboot image with the Mountain Lion SIU, which worked as expected, of course! A couple of caveats ...

We have multiple netboot servers installed in the various buildings in our school district. The hosting netboot server does NOT have to be running Mountain Lion/Server in order to host the Mountain Lion netboot image. HOWEVER, it MUST be a machine that is CAPABLE of running Mountain Lion, otherwise, client machines cannot netboot against the Mountain Lion netboot image.

I guess this makes sense, but be aware, Mountain Lion deprecates a lot of somewhat dated machines, including some otherwise nicely-spec'd Xserves. I'm talking quad-core Xeon Xserves that aren't all that old (2008). Interestingly, one COULD use a mid-2007 iMac as a Mountain Lion server, according to the filter list contained in the Automator actions within SIU. Strange, but true ....

Now, if I'm totally wrong about this, I'd be happy to be proven otherwise, but in live testing, this is what I've found so far.

Jeff Elliott

Tech Support Staff

Aug 9, 2012 10:42 AM in response to hempfieldtech

You should be able to serve 10.8 images from non-10.8 compatible systems. I've successfully hosted, and booted into a 10.8 NetBoot volume hosted on a MacPro that is incapable of running 10.8.

You may be running into the fact that the default protocol for images built on 10.8 is HTTP, not NFS, and your 10.7 server isn't properly hosting HTTP images (that's what I saw in my test).

Booting the client in verbose mode will tell you many helpful things. 🙂

Aug 17, 2012 12:53 PM in response to Brian Nesse

What you describe has been the case in the past - older servers have been able to host newer netboot images without issue. I tried changing the (older) host server protocol to NFS for the 10.8 netboot image, but still no success. I went back to the 10.8 system image utility to see if there was a setting in the image creation workflow where I could tell it which protocol (HTTP or NFS) to use - did not see anything. I checked the generated NBImageInfo.plist for my 10.8 netboot image, and indeed, HTTP is the set as the ImageType.

Any further insight you can provide would be appreciated!

Jeff Elliott

Tech Support Staff

Can't build 10.7.4 netboot image with 10.8 system image utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.