Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Networks don't save, and "preferred list" is filled with unfamiliar networks.

My network is "CMT". I've connected to it with my MBP before, and other devices still connect to it.

KeyChain on the MBP has the password saved. It's the same on other devices (Android phone, for example).

However, my MBP prompts every time for a password, then says "Connection Timed Out". The network, admittedly, is barely within reach. And it's not saying "Invalid Password," even though it always asks for it. Other networks have also had this issue, so the problem is on the Mac.

Possible unrelated, when I go into Network Preferences, there are literally hundreds of SSIDs saved. Where did they come from? I didn't add them (I even freshly installed the OS a few weeks ago).

What's going on?

MBP 2007 Santa Rosa

2.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:03 AM

3 replies

Jul 31, 2012 6:44 AM in response to mbinder

They are there in Preferred because in Network>Advanced, you have checked "Remember Networks this computer has joined." Delete all of those using the minus button and leave only your own and uncheck that box. If, for some reason, you need to leave any, make sure your own is at the top of the list. Then, in the first pane, uncheck "Ask to join new Networks." If you are traveling or using your computer in some Wi-Fi hot spot, you can always reverse that.

Once you've done that, in the first pane hit "Assist me">Network Diagnostics, follow all the prompts, which will include being asked for your Airport Keychain password. Just re-enter it and don't select "Remember in Keychain," since it's already there. This may help.

Otherwise, if that doesn't help, set up a new location and copy everything over from the previous one. Leave the old one around, but use only the new one. Also, make sure Airport is dragged to the top, above Ethernet or Firewire.

Make sure there aren't any older Airport passwords in Keychain, which should have been deleted. Look both in the Login and System Keychains.

Jul 31, 2012 7:01 AM in response to WZZZ

I understand fully what is supposed to happen. I'm saying that it is not happening that way.

There are literally hundreds of SSIDs I've never seen before, and only I use this computer. Things like "Ramada Inn".

I've never stayed at a Ramada Inn, much less used their internet.

Curiously, they have disappeared now, but obviously there is something that made them appear in the first place.

Trashing network .plist files and removing KeyChain info has not worked. Obviously, since I reformatted the computer and have the same issues.

I want to get to the core issue in the OS that is causing this problem, or problems.

Networks don't save, and "preferred list" is filled with unfamiliar networks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.