Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion and my signatures for my Mail is not showing up. I have the signatures inthe preference panes and selected for the email address, but when I make a new message, the signature shows as none and doesn't give me a choice

I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion and my signatures for my Mail are not showing up. I have the signatures inthe preference panes and selected for the email address, but when I make a new message, the signature shows as none and doesn't give me a choice. Yesterday, the signatures were stacking instead of switching to the one I wanted to choose.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 6:39 AM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2012 9:42 AM in response to Mariettar

I am also having the first symptom of the problem. When I create a new message, it used to always default to the same account as the currently highlighted message. Now, it defaults to one of my accounts (not the first), with the signature associated with that account. When I change the "from" field to the account I want, it leaves the first signature and stacks the new one below it. If I change the account again, the bottom signature changes, but the top, first one has to be manually deleted.

I've tried changing preferences back and forth to force a reset of signature settings, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm sure there is a corrupted pref or plist file that can be deleted, but I haven't yet figured out which one it is. If I figure it out, I will update this thread.

Aug 9, 2012 7:46 AM in response to Mariettar

I had this and fixed it.

I had upgraded to Mountain Lion and my signatures in Mail were fine. But then about a week later, I got a new computer and used Migration Assistant to copy my stuff to the new machine. Upon opening Mail, I had all the correct Signature information in the Preferences>Signatures window, but nothing worked.

After lots of hunting, I found the Signature Folder. It's in:

Yourusername>Library>Mail>V2>MailData>Signatures

Looking at my previous setup (which works) I saw in that folder two types of files: .webarchive and .siganture

Looking in my new machine's Signature folder, I saw only the .webarchive folders, not the .signature folders

Since this was literally a clone of my previous setup to a new machine, here's what I did:

1. Quit Mail

2. In Problem machine, go to

Yourusername>Library>Mail>V2>MailData>Signatures

3. Move the Signatures folder someplace safe, but out of the MailData folder

4. Get the Signatures Folder from the working install (like a backup) and copy it to the MailData folder on the problematic machine

5. Start Mail on the problem machine

This worked for me. I don't know why Migration Assistant didn't copy the full signature folder, but this fixed it. It worked perfectly partly because I had just backed up with Carbon Copy Cloner and the very next day set up the new machine. I don't know where Lion or earlier versions of mail stored signatures, but the absence of the .signature filetype seems to be the problem.

Hope this helps

Aug 24, 2012 12:45 PM in response to pert2u

The problem seems to be "I moved my sig files...." there are actually TWO files for each sig, and you must move both. Read my steps listed in the post above carefully. The signature files are in pairs, one set with .webarchive extension, the other with .siganture extension.Make sure you move all these files, both types to the malfunctioning signature folder. Solved my problem immediately. YOu might quit mail and re-launch just so Mail gets a fresh idea of what is in the folders.

Mar 7, 2014 6:54 AM in response to Mariettar

Looking at my MAVERICKS 10.9.2 system, there are "more than 2" files related to signatures!

I do have multiple signatures -- for multiple iMap accounts and different purposes.

In the folder ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/Signatures I find --

1- AccountsMap.plist

2- AllSignatures.plist

3- SignaturesByAccount.plist

and then for each signature

4- Individual .webarchive

5- Individual .mailsignature

So, when copying from a working "old" system, I would make certaint to copy the entire Signatures folder, not just selected items.

I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion and my signatures for my Mail is not showing up. I have the signatures inthe preference panes and selected for the email address, but when I make a new message, the signature shows as none and doesn't give me a choice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.