Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot insert CD/DVD into MacBook

I am using an aluminum MacBook with superdrive and removable battery. I cannot insert any CDs or DVDs. I am sure there is no disk inside the drive, but already followed the directions to force ejecy and nothing came out. I also follwed the directions to reset the SMC and still no change. I had this same problem about 2 months ago and follwed the same steps with no change. Then I went into the Apple store and when the genius attempted to insert a disk, it went right in properly. This also worked for me many more times the follwing few weeks. Now, I have not used the superdrive for several weeks and am having the same problem . . . only this time, I am abroad and there is no Apple store or convenient Apple technician avaiable. Any suggestions . . .

MacBook 13-inch Aluminum (late 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2017 9:39 AM

Try this command on terminal -: drutil tray eject.

~n~

14 replies

Sep 20, 2012 6:12 AM in response to anselmo Stiffan

The solution I gave in the last post doesn't work anylonger. Today I noticed that the recommended sturt-up key combination doesn't work when my USB Time Machine disk is connected. For instance pressing the Option key during start-up does not go into the choice of boot media instead, it stay in a gray screen forever. Removing the Time Machine disk and holding the Eject+ F12 keys during the start-up, released the DVD entrance slot.

Try that, hopefully it works.

Sep 21, 2012 6:29 AM in response to anselmo Stiffan

Thanks again for your suggestions . . . I have tried each of them with the following results:

Restart holding Option Key

1st time, a lot of physical activity within the drive during restart, but no "choose start-up" icons appeared. This actually seemed to make the problem worse. Previously, I could insert the disk about 30% before encountering resistance . . . now can only insert about 5%.

Because the start-up icons did not appear, I tried this one again.

2nd time, a little sound from the drive during restart, icons appeared, I chose HD, restart completed with no effect to improve the problem.

Restart holding Eject and F12

a little sound from the drive during restart, no improvement

Restart holding D key (still running OSX 10.7.4)

same as Eject and F12

So far nothing has solved my problem

Sep 21, 2012 11:33 AM in response to nadandeo

I understand your frustation....I am through it right now.

In addition to that problem my Mac does not start if the the 1TB beck-up disc is connected via USB. In attempting several method I inadvertitly erase totally my HD and I'm in the process to recover all my files and applications via Time Machine. Mac OS 10.8.2 has been reinstalled and at present the DVD drive is open.

Will see if at the end of resoring files it keeps open.

Wish me good luck, thanks!

cannot insert CD/DVD into MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.