Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble playing spore in mountain Lion

Trouble playing games

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, trouble playing games

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:07 AM

When I started up Spore for Mac in Mountain Lion with all patches installed, the screen went white with horizontal lines flashing on it. No problems with audio.

I was able to resolve the problem by enabling "Use FBO for Backbuffer" in the Transgaming Cider preferences box. This is the box that goes away if you have disabled the "Display this on subsequent starts" option. I was not able to get it to come back on another account where I had disabled that option. Instead I had to go into the file "Library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/config" with a text editor and change

"fbobackbuffer" = "0"

to

"fbobackbuffer" = "1"

After that everything worked fine.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2012 9:07 AM in response to alto2080

When I started up Spore for Mac in Mountain Lion with all patches installed, the screen went white with horizontal lines flashing on it. No problems with audio.

I was able to resolve the problem by enabling "Use FBO for Backbuffer" in the Transgaming Cider preferences box. This is the box that goes away if you have disabled the "Display this on subsequent starts" option. I was not able to get it to come back on another account where I had disabled that option. Instead I had to go into the file "Library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/config" with a text editor and change

"fbobackbuffer" = "0"

to

"fbobackbuffer" = "1"

After that everything worked fine.

Sep 1, 2012 6:44 PM in response to pheelup

I had the same problem, and mattw's fix above solved the problem. Thanks!

The config file should be in the folder /Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/, which you can access via Terminal.

Or, if you perfer to navigate via the Finder: in the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose "Go to Folder..." and enter the path above. Right click (or control click) on the file "config" and choose "Open With", then choose TextEdit. Then follow mattw gx's instructions above to edit the file.

Note that the SPORE Preferences folder was not in the System/Library/Preferences folder (at least in my case).

Sep 30, 2012 4:07 PM in response to alto2080

I've got a new MacBook Pro (retina display) w/ Mountain Lion. Couldn't run Spore, even with the FBO back-buffer on. I did a complete re-install as suggested, without loading any upgrades. Still doesn't run. It starts up, I get the splash screen, the screen goes black, flashes white, then I get an exception raised ("Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x0000000c at address 0x00e60501"). It asks me if I want to debug the exception. If I select no, it quits. If I select yes, the screen flashes and it quits.

Aug 1, 2013 7:30 AM in response to alto2080

Hi,

I experienced the exact same problem as you all described which was very frustating since my 8 year old really wanted to play this. It opened and then vanished!

My mac is an old Pro from mid-late 2007 on which I updated first to snow leopard and then to mountain lion. I also updated the RAM to 4 GB from originally 2.

I got Spore finally to work by help of the instructions I googled. In short you have to drag the installed program to the bin. Then you need to find the Spore preferences folder and also drag this to the bin. Then empty the bin. Restart and follow the following instructions that I copy in here. Good luck! ( the worst part was to find the Spore pref file, the rest was only very time consuming).

( to zap the PRAM, please google that and you find instructions of which buttons to hold down during restart)

------

To find the pref folder:

/Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences/SPORE Preferences/, which you can access via Terminal.

Or, if you perfer to navigate via the Finder: in the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose "Go to Folder..." and enter the path above. ( your user name is of coarse the name you see in finder when you look at your harddrive and the name may not correspond fully to your name in the uppermost screen list, this was the case for me)

-------------

What finally worked was this:

Delete All The Things - Drag the Spore program to the bin. Also delete Spore's preferences folder which is hard to find in the new OS.

Zap the PRAM

Do a clean install - do NOT update. Click NO when ask to update!!!

Restart, zap the PRAM.

Open the game, it will ask you to update. Let it load the first update, then quit.

Restart, zap the PRAM.

Repeat the single udpate - restart - zap PRAM process until you've done all five

Done!

trouble playing spore in mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.