Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Player Ver 5500.38 "the media type is not supported"

Prior to updating to Mountain Lion, I had Lion installed on my two of my MacBook Pros and a Mac Mini. I was able to use any of my MacBooks to connect wirelessly to my Mac Mini and then connect to any of my external hard drives to view ".dvdmedia" extension movies with no errors.

I updated one MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion and now I can't view any of my movies wirelessly because I receive the following error: "DVD Player "the media type is not supported".

Seriously, how can it not be supported if it is the same extention. I went back to my other MacBook Pro and I can play any movies wirelessly with no issues.

The Mac Mini & the MacBook Pro running Lion has DVD Player Ver 5500.26.

Nothing else has changed other than the fact I updated on Apple product to Mountain Lion. The rest of the Apple products have the latest Lion updates.

Does anyone have clue how to fix this issue or wait until Apple release a fix through a Mountain Lion update?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:22 AM

3 replies

Mar 22, 2013 9:16 PM in response to Quack_Salvesen

Same problem here but a slight twist.

2011 iMac running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 with DVD player 5500.38.2

2009 Mac Mini running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 with DVD player 5500.38.2

DVD rips with RipIt, stored on a NAS.

iMac will play the rips through DVD player.

Mac Mini will not play rips through DVD player, but will play through VLC.

Mac Mini previously worked, but not sure what version OSX it was running then, could have been pre-Mountain Lion.

Curious about what's causing this. It's a bit frustrating!

DVD Player Ver 5500.38 "the media type is not supported"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.