Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Time Machine have more files than my hard drive?

After having some major restore problems following a new hard drive installation I am finally back in business and things seem to be running smoothly as far as my backups are concerned.

I have read through Time Machine 101 and have a bsic understanding, I think. What confuses me is that my Time Machine currently shows it has used 156Gs, while my hard drive only has 151Gs, and that includes what is in the trash.

What am I not understanding?

MAC OS.X

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:12 AM

Time Machine will keep multiple iterations of a document and also keep copies of files that have been deleted from your Mac (that's the major point of Time Machine or any other backup). It's therefore completely normal for a Time Machine volume to show more files and take up more space than your hard drive currently shows.

Regards.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2012 10:12 AM in response to topcop1

Time Machine will keep multiple iterations of a document and also keep copies of files that have been deleted from your Mac (that's the major point of Time Machine or any other backup). It's therefore completely normal for a Time Machine volume to show more files and take up more space than your hard drive currently shows.

Regards.

Jul 31, 2012 11:30 AM in response to topcop1

Allan,

Thanks again for the advice and help.

I knew all about Trash after my restore. When I was done restoring through Mozy, I Trashed the folder.

The Apple tech and I couldn't figure why my hard drive had so many more files than my Time Machine and Mozy backups until I remembered that folder. It meant the HD had most of my files twice (two copies).

And, yes I understand that once Trash is emptied it is gone forever. That is why I try to to keep my trash for awhile.

Jim

Why does my Time Machine have more files than my hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.