Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yahoo mail

Is yahoo mail compatible with Mountain Lion?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:55 AM

My yahoo.com address works in the Mail app.

In fact it wsa very easy to configure as Mail already "knows" the proper server information.

Matt

13 replies

Aug 2, 2012 8:32 PM in response to arov

It makes no sense to me that Yahoo Mail (not plus) works fine via iOS devices and Mac OS X Mail.app but will not work with Outlook 2011.

I haev been trying every combination of ports and SSL etc and nothing seems to work.

Oddly somehow I did get one test message to show up but only just after I had deleted the account so I do not kwno what settings I had - the header on that message does show it was sent to my Yahoo account - so doesn't appea to be snagged from elsewhere and moved into that folder but actually received by that account.

It's not a big deal as I only use that account for certain testing purposes and I am getting used to Mail.app on my work mahcine so maybe I will switch on my home machine. It is just annoying that something so simply has to be so difficult.

Aug 10, 2012 3:05 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

He's trying to configure Mail for use with Yahoo Mail.

I was responding to this:

I understand that is what Yahoo wants - but what I am saying is that the Mail.app built into Mac OS X can access a Yahoo Mail account that is not plus - but Outlook for Mac cannot. Is Mail.app not an email client software package?

Referring to Outlook. I know Mail works with yahoo (and I do not have a paid account either)

Aug 10, 2012 3:12 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny,

I answered the original poster's question.

I never attempted to answer iamtirred's question.

When I set it up all I did was enter my Yahoo account information (which I did in Mail preferences) because I was running Snow Leopard when I did it.

Perhaps Yahoo support can provide some answers. I've found their online support articles to be helpful.

Beyond that I don't know what else to suggest.

Matt

Aug 10, 2012 3:11 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

Matthew Morgan wrote:

Lanny,

I answered the original poster's question.

I never attempted to answer iamtirred's question.

All I did was enter my yahoo account information (which I did in Mail preferences) because I was running Snow Leopard when I did.

Perhaps Yahoo support can provide some answers. I've found their online support articles to be helpful.

Beyon that I don't know what else to suggest.

Matt

I just resurrected an old Yahoo account, added it via Mail Contacts and Calendars (in sys prefs) plugged in my username and password, it worked first time, was setup as Imap, and it is a free account. I did not try Outlook because Outlook is quite Horrid.

yahoo mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.