Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-purchasing an app

I have an app on the Store (Growl, FWIW) that won't let me update. When I try, it refuses me with an error that says "To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it." I've tried both of my apple IDs, and get the same message on both.

Now, the app is only $1.99, so I figured I could just uninstall it and re-purchase it. After a thorough uninstallation (following the developers' instructions fully), I went back to the app store... and it still only offers me the update, which it still refuses for the same reason.

I want to make the App Store forget I own this app, so I can pay $$ for it again. Any suggestions for how can I buy the app anew?

Thanks!

App Store-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:49 AM

3 replies

Aug 2, 2012 2:47 PM in response to Emergent

The "account", to which the message refers, is NOT your APPLEID account.

[If you used the wrong applid, you would have no apps to update.]

It is your USERID on your computer.

I have 2 userids - ADMIN, and PEON which I normally use.

Some of my apps were purchased with the admin account.

These showed up as "update" rather than "installed"

I logged out of peon, and logged in to admin.

Now most purchased apps showed up as "install"

[some were "installed" but none were "update"]

Install all of them, and Bob's your uncle :-)

Aug 4, 2012 8:03 AM in response to zit

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that distinction!

But, alas, I only use one account on this computer...

BUT, your advice nevertheless led indirectly to a solution 🙂 "How could I have anything on this computer with another account?", I wondered. Aha: I had other copies of Growl hidden away on unusual paths, left over from backups of old computers (before I had Time Machines). Those *shouldn't* affect the running of things, but they would have different account names. I hunted down and deleted those, and poof! Fixed!

Re-purchasing an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.