Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Mountain Lion support a VGA splitter

Currently I am using an early 2008 iMac as a presentation computer. It is hooked up to two Optoma projectors via the Mini DVI port to VGA cable, feeding through a Tripp Lite VGA splitter and then to the two projectors.

The computer was running Leopard and working fine, but when I upgraded it to Snow Leopard in order to install Mountain Lion, the external displays no longer work with Snow Leopard. If one of the projectors is connected directly then it works fine.

Does anyone have experience running a VGA splitter with Mountain Lion? Will the upgrade fix this or should I try to stay in Snow Leopard and find a solution?

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 9:49 AM

8 replies

Jul 31, 2012 10:04 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

I'm using the Tripp Lite VGA splitter linked to in my previous post,

The iMac is set up to run ProPresenter with the control display on the iMac, and outputting the presentation display through the VGA to the splitter, to send duplicate images to both displays.

Here is the set up:

iMac -> Mini DVI to VGA adapter -> VGA splitter -> 2x Optoma projectors (via VGA)

To the mac this is only 2 displays, as the signal is being split after it leaves the iMac

We did not have to install any drivers for the iMac to recognize the adapter, I've contacted Tripp Lite and they don't create any drivers for their devices as they are built to run under generic VGA drivers.

I hooked up my mid-2011 iMac running Mountain Lion by using a mini-display port to VGA adapter and it works fine. The only difference here is that I'm using a mini-display port adapter instead of a Mini-DVI.

Jul 31, 2012 10:16 AM in response to BMcNarry

Do you have the latest drivers?

http://www.tripplite.com/en/support/downloads/index.cfm

(from the link in your previous post)

they also have a live chat feature and a very large support page, which you could use to better assist you with your Tripp Lite VGA adapter running on ML.

As I said before, this feature is not supported on Machines that do not have thunderbolt so your adapter is doing some magic of it's own and might need new software to run on a new OS.

Jul 31, 2012 12:15 PM in response to TheSmokeMonster

Thanks for the suggestion, as mentioned before Tripp Lite does not supply or require any drivers for the VGA splitters because they are built to run under generic Plug-n-Play VGA drivers. The splitter is merely taking one signal and duplicating it so that both projectors are displaying identical images. There's no funky magic going on at all.

The problem is that the iMac is not recognizing that a secondary display is being plugged in under Snow Leopard. I've run all possible updates on the iMac and haven't found a solution yet.

Aug 1, 2012 8:22 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

TheSmokeMonster wrote:

So what did their support team say when you asked them if there was support for ML?

From Tripp-Lite

The B114-004-R is operating system agnostic, so if it has issues with individual versions of OSX that would indicate conflicts with how the display drivers are telling the computer to pass signal. There is no reason why it should not work with 10.8 (or any other version of OSX) given that there is no software that goes with it.

Aug 1, 2012 11:00 AM in response to BMcNarry

An SMC reset is supposed to fix issues with iMacs selecting an external video source.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Resetting the SMC for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
  3. Wait fifteen seconds.
  4. Attach the computer's power cord.
  5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Aug 1, 2012 11:30 AM in response to TheSmokeMonster

I've done the SMC reset as well as the PRAM and NVRAM, no dice.

After going through Optoma's support just to make sure, it couldn't be anything with the projectors I called Apple and spoke with a Senior Advisor. Due to the fact that the VGA splitter works with my mid-2011 iMac, but not with the 2008 iMac his best guess is that the error must have something to do with the handshake protocols that allows the iMac to detect that there is something attached to the external display. Unfortunately there is no way to 'brute-force' the iMac to send video without receiving a handshake confirmation. The "Detect Displays" option only makes the iMac look for a display, but it won't send the signal without a response.

The option at this point is to either find a different splitter and try that, or downgrade the iMac to Leopard (which requires a full wipe and re-install.

Not the solution I had hoped to find, especially when the iMac, VGA splitter, projectors, and presentation software are individually listed as Mountain Lion compatable.

Will Mountain Lion support a VGA splitter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.