Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FMU128 won't connect in FCP7

Hello everyone...

I have a bunch of footage on the FMU128 flash memory for the NX5U. In all of my research, I should be able to plug it in to my tower with a usb (no camera), and then go to Log and Transfer, and the images will show up.

However, when I do this, nothing happens. The Log and Transfer doesn't even act like it's looking for it. I've had the flash drive plugged in for hours thinking that the file is so big that it would take a while for FCP7 to see it.

I have even tried to plug it into FCPX hoping that would do the trick, but no luck.

When I look in the Finder, I see the drive ("NO NAME"), and all of the files are there.

So how do I get the footage on to my FCP7??? And yes, I have upgraded to 7.0.3.

Please help, I need to get that footage!!

Thanks folks, Ken

Final Cut Pro 7

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 10:55 AM

10 replies

Jul 31, 2012 11:51 AM in response to David Mclaine

I just tried the "new volume or add volume" button per your suggestion. When I click on it, it goes to the finder window, and I see the folder for AVCHD. I highlight that and click "open". Then I get an immediate error message saying "AVCHD contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media."

If I go into the directory structure, I can see all of my files, and if I select each different folder and try to add, I get the same message.

From my research on this, I am supposed to transfer all of the files from the top of the directory structure.

David, thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else? Or any other ideas?

Jul 31, 2012 12:46 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks Meg. I have done what you suggest. When I hit "open" and the "no name" drive is highlighted, in the log and transfer window, I get a really quick flash of something in the window where the clips should be. And then nothing else happens. It just sits there like there is nothing going in.

Now, I do probably have about 7 hours of footage on there (timelapse video), so would it take a really long time for log and transfer to read and convert all of the footage before listing it in the playlist clip area?

Jul 31, 2012 1:58 PM in response to DCPA9

This is a seven hour single clip? I have no experience with anything near that long, and given the NX5U's history of having trouble importing longer clips . . . who knows? Do you have sufficient disk space to deal with a file as large as the transcoded file will be?

One thing you can try/verify is to click on the gear in the upper middle of the L&T window and choose preferences from the drop down menu

User uploaded file

and then set the AVCHD import to Plain Stereo:

User uploaded file

If no luck, you might try ClipWrap:

http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap/

but before you spend any money, you might want to ask their support if a seven hour single clip poses a problem.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/divergent-media-scopebox-clipwrap/

MtD

Jul 31, 2012 2:07 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I'm sorry. I misspoke. The total amount of video is about 7 hours. There are many clips in the file. It's not just one clip that is 7 hours long. I don't even think that's possible.

Anyway, I tried to switch the AVCHD import like you suggest, and still nothing.

Someone I talked to suggested trying to import the files to Premiere Pro, and then export them to an .mov file, and then bring them into FCP 7. Seems like a lot of work, but if that's the only way to get it done...

Any thoughts anyone on that one?

Jul 31, 2012 2:14 PM in response to DCPA9

It should work correctly in 7.03. Are you sure your clips are in HD?

Log and Transfer does not work with SD clips, and there have been anecdotal reports that L&T has trouble with media where there are mixed formats (HD & SD, for example) or still images, stored on the same camera media.

If you have access to Premiere, you could at least verify that the clips are there and uncorrupted, if they import correctly there.

Otherwise, hang around a bit and see if someone can give you a solution.

MtD

Jul 31, 2012 2:28 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Yeah, I need to find out if there is a mixture of HD/SD. I had to leave the camera with the event that the timelapse was for. I talked to them, and they said they stopped the recording mid way to lower the quality so that they could get more footage onto the drive. Now, what I don't know is if they just lowered the quality in HD, or if they actually switched it to SD.

I'm gonna get this figured out one way or another!!

Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it. Ken

FMU128 won't connect in FCP7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.