Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut support

I just finished exporting a short film from final cut pro. The movie ended up being around 180 gigs. I re-imported the movie to export again using a compression. Is there a way to tell final cut to keep the file under 500 MB? BTW i'm using "quicktime conversion" to export.

Final cut pro 5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 12:30 PM

Don't use Quicktime conversion. Export a Quicktime Movie with current settings (are you using pro res?) and then bring the file into Compressor to convert to H264 or whatever you need for your final delivery. You'll have to experiment with the settings to get the size you want. I think the inspector window will tell you what the final size will be

DM

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2012 12:30 PM in response to finalcutenthusiast1

Don't use Quicktime conversion. Export a Quicktime Movie with current settings (are you using pro res?) and then bring the file into Compressor to convert to H264 or whatever you need for your final delivery. You'll have to experiment with the settings to get the size you want. I think the inspector window will tell you what the final size will be

DM

Aug 1, 2012 8:04 AM in response to finalcutenthusiast1

A 1080 resolution in AIC would be about 3 1/2 hours. Is that about correct? You can open your exported movie in QuickTime and hit command i to see what the codec, resolution, etc is. It would be helpful to post a screen shot of that Inspector info.

It also sounds like Qmaster and Compressor are not getting along on your system. David was probably referring you to Digital Rebellion's Repair Tool, the link to which can be found here. As he indicated, exporting as a Quick Time movie is a better choice than QT Conversion…use the first version to bring into Compressor, where you can test different bit rates until you get the best tradeoff between quality and size.

Russ

Aug 1, 2012 3:07 PM in response to finalcutenthusiast1

Well, it does have a codec (None), which produces enormous file sizes – about 40 times the size of AIC. (Yikes!)

So…if I were you I'd follow the advice that David McLaine gave in his initial reply: Export AIC as QT Movie current settings and bring that into Compressor. You'll be able to get a very nice looking movie at the 500 MB size you're looking for.

Again, good luck.

Russ

final cut support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.